tuning rs mikunis

More
15 Oct 2007 15:38 #176288 by zedsled
tuning rs mikunis was created by zedsled
I just bought myself some new rs carbs, and the instruction book is all but useless. Can someone please tell me if screwing the pilot screws in makes it richer or leaner? And does changing the main jet affect low or mid range in any way, or just 3/4 to wide open throttle? Its a 1075 mtc 10.5/1 kit with mild cams dyna ign and coils,4 into1, stock head running rs34s with pod filters. Any tips on jetting/tuning would be appreciated.
Thanks, jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2007 10:55 #176913 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic tuning rs mikunis
In is richer, out is leaner..

More
18 Oct 2007 10:56 #176914 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic tuning rs mikunis
In is richer, out is leaner..

More
19 Oct 2007 01:21 #177029 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic tuning rs mikunis
I think RS´s have fuel not air pilot screws i.e opening makes it richer. If the pilot screw is in front of the carb body (engine side) then its a fuel/air screw.

Pilot jet affects on idle to appr. 1/4 throttle open

Needle and needle jet from 1/3-2/3 throttle open

Main jet from 1/2-WOT

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
12 Nov 2007 06:15 #180645 by BlackStar
Replied by BlackStar on topic tuning rs mikunis
I have a new set of RS34's on my GS1000. I went with the 34's since the bike is stock displ. Running pods with a V&H 4-1 header. I thought I'd rather be a little to small on the throat than too large since I was looking for rideability and throttle response. I don't spend much time at WOT. I'm running the needle clip on 4th down, and 130 mains. Pilot circuit is stock. Runs sweet with great throttle response. In fact bike has never run this good.

RS34's use a fuel screw only. In is leaner, out is richer. If the screw is on the engine side of the slide, it is a fuel screw.
If the screw is on the airbox side of the slide, it is an airscrew, which, in is less air (richer) and out is more air (leaner).

I think you'll love these carbs. The ease of tuning was worth it alone. You can change all 4 needle settings on the bike without effecting sync.

1978 Suzuki GS1000: Indexed,trued, welded crank, 1085 kit, Mikuni RS34 carbs, K&N pods, V&H 4-1 with comp. baffle.

2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior 1700: Patrick Racing Big Air Kit, Speedstar 2-1 exhaust.