gas squirting out overflows!....

More
13 Oct 2007 14:11 #176033 by Fossil
gas squirting out overflows!.... was created by Fossil
Just started - gas squirting out the overflow on only one carb when revved, and at idle there's a slow drip of gas. The only change made was richening up the idle with the air screws - 2 1/2 turns out was just too lean, but that was a few weeks ago.
Doesn't seem to be the same symptoms I've seen before with dirty needle and seat.
Any ideas?

RS36 Mikuni Flatslides

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2007/10/13 23:26

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2007 14:45 #176037 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic gas squirting out overflows!....
Sorry Fossil, but I would think that it Has to be something preventing the needle from seating. Sometimes just revving it a bit can get the gas flowing and maybe wash the little bugger out! B)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
13 Oct 2007 17:32 #176055 by JR
Replied by JR on topic gas squirting out overflows!....
I have to start by saying that I'm not familiar with the Minkunis. On my keihins there is a brass overflow tube which goes up through the bowl.These can sometimes crack...almost impossible to see. Happened to me. Only way I found it was by filling the bowl with water and watching. Do you have the same kind of overflow tube ? Other than dirt in the needle seat thats the only thing I can think of.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
15 Oct 2007 19:35 #176341 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic gas squirting out overflows!....
Problem solved, whatever it was. I pulled the drain plugs from all 4 carbs, squirted carb cleaner up into the float chambers and into the overflow pipes. It was only one carb acting up but thgought I might as well do them all. Waited 5 minutes, gave it another soak, another 5 minutes opened the petcock and flushed some gas through. Drain plugs back in, warmed it up, reset the idle, no leaks and runs great. It would seem that, yes some dirt was stuck in the seat or the float got stuck with some dirt or varnish. Anyway, out for a few hours tonight, ran great. Going to be a regular part of maintenance now. Thanks

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2007/10/15 22:37