No mixture screws?

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Oct 2007 04:19 #175643 by riverroad
No mixture screws? was created by riverroad
Recently I replaced my carb holders and while I was at it, I switched to pod filters. So it's been running a little lean. I was all set to order me some larger jets, but I ran across the tech tip about slide carbs here on KZRider. It explained how to adjust the mixture screws and that some are in the sides of the carbs and some are located underneath on the forward side of the float bowls. Well, I don't seem to have any mixture screws anywhere. The side holes are plugged, and the ones underneath are blind, non threaded holes.
So can anybody tell me how I'm supposed to adjust my primary circuits?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2007 05:05 #175651 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic No mixture screws?
Your adjustment screw is below the plugs. Remove the plugs to access the screws. Because we the general public (US) are too stupid to have access to the settings, the Gum-mint has determined to be the best, those adjustments have been plugged. Kind of like baby-proofing, which goes to show what the "mommy-state elites" think of the public.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Oct 2007 06:22 #175655 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic No mixture screws?
Aha! So there ARE screws under the plugs?
That's what I was thinking and hoping, but I was afraid of popping the plugs out and finding an empty hole and just creating a huge vacuum leak. :pinch:
I've run into this crap with cars before too.
Yep, non adjustable carbs, 85mph speedo, air suction system... reminds me of my '79 white T top Z28, with the 30hp 350 in it. 7:1 compression, 4v quadrajunk carb, 0-60 in time for lunch, maybe. Great one wheel burnout, but only if you powerbraked it. What a POS.:laugh:

More
11 Oct 2007 06:33 #175658 by ronjones
Yeah, be careful though. The "approved" method is to drill a small hole in the plug, being careful not to go too far and drill into the adjustment screw. Thread a small wood screw in the drilled hole and pull.
Good luck

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Oct 2007 06:54 #175663 by riverroad
Thanks Ron. I was already thinking about drilling off to the side a little so as to try to avoid the screws.
Probably use a #40 bit on it.
Happen to know about how far under them plugs the ends of the screws are?

More
11 Oct 2007 07:23 #175676 by ronjones
Not really, RR. Other's have said that it is right below the cap. I used an easyout drill bit that had a "stop" @ maybe 3-4mm. To be on the safe side I'd go very slowly and just barely break through.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Oct 2007 07:32 #175681 by riverroad
Thanks Ron, I think I got it. If there's one thing I can do, it's drill holes. Spent fifteen years as a structural mechanic in an airplane factory. Billions and billions...

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
12 Oct 2007 05:13 #175864 by riverroad
Thanks guys. That was a piece-a-cake. Finally got to use that old slide hammer I've had for years.
So when I got the plugs out, I turned the screws in to see where the factory set them, and it turns out, for this model anyway, that they were set exactly one turn from the seats.
So I just turned them all in one quarter turn to richen her up and now she's singing a healthy tune. Haven't tested her wide open yet, but just normal riding around town she runs real sweet. I've never seen an engine that was happy with the mixture screws just 3/4 turn from the seat, but hey, just like my wife, if she's happy, I'm happy.
Tomorrow I'm gonna check her out wide open out on the highway, and I'm also going to test her with and without the tractor muffler installed.