Trying to get my 77kz650 on the road

More
05 Oct 2007 17:38 #174807 by srobie1
Trying to get my 77kz650 on the road was created by srobie1
Well its been a while since I have been on. Some of you might remember me. I took a break on working on my kz for 2 reasons Money and Frustration!! Well I have 77 kz650 which has sat for a few years according to the guy I bought it off of. On it first day home I got it started. I performed the normal things before starting: changed oil, oil filter, drained the gas tank and replaced with fresh gas, changed the spark plugs, put a little marvel mystry oil on the pistons, a little starting fluid and hot damn she was runnin. Not that great but running. It had a slapping noise, thought for sure I was hearing piston slap due to bad rings? But through this site I found it was a issue with coils.
So my search for a set of coils started,ones that my poor white ass couls afford.I ended up buying a set off this forum from a guy. Wrong coils. No harm. EBAY!! got a set put them on and the bike ran better. Not right though. The bike was addicted to starting fluid. So agian I found myself on this forum looking for words of wisdom. I was told had to be carbs. So I attempted to do a rebuild. Trial and error, I got the carbs clean. Great improvement. Still not right, So I did the Ignition power upgrade (relay and rewire to supply coils). Starting became easier. Still needed starting fluid. So I picked up another set of used coils. No improvement worth speaking about. So it was decided that I needed to get a set of Dyna green coils, (by the wise KZ GODS). My broke ass could not afford to buy a new set and the wife was starting to get that glare in her eyes. So I backed off the bike for a while, and the fact that the money just was not there for the bike, helped. (I am the sole money maker for our family of 4)I changed my focus on the shity paint on the bike, I stipped it down and repainted it. My barn find had 5 layers of paint and not a sole repainted it the correct way. Hell the factory decals were just painted right over, and lets not even talk about the dents I discovered on the tank. With a bondo job from hell. Anyways I repaint the bike (flat Black) Spray Bombed and looks great. So a couple monthes fly by. And I started itiching for some more punishment. I find a guy with some Dyna greens on EBAY, price was right for the used coils. So I scooped them up on the cheap.
So here I find myself again. I got the coils bought some wires. Slapped them on and the bike started but with some starting fluid. She sat for two monthes so I was ok with that. Afer the first start it ran great, restarted with ease, and i was happy. The real test was if it would restart the next day on a cold start. And for the first time since I have owned the bike it started without starting fluid. Victory!! So I thought. Still was not running that great, starts were still a little hard (from a cold start). So this evening, I was out in the driveway turning wrenches on the bike. Trying to tweek it, for improvement. Idle jumping around. Was thinking this is the reason for the hard starting. Once the bike starts I have to adjust the idle down. Then when the next time starting I need to adjust it back up to get it to start and stay running. So I got the bike started and running, idle bounces around on its own. It idles good for a while then it revs itself up, I tweek it down, then shortly later I am tweeking it back up. So its getting dark and I have had enough punishment for the night. Then I notice the pipes are glowing red (right near the block). Thought it was normal at first, but then I saw that numbers 1,2,3 are glowing but number 4 was not red at all. So is it the coils (again)? The timing? bad wire connection? Bad carb? The bike does not seem to be running like its only on 3cyl. Or is it because the bike was sitting on it kick stand and leaning away from Number 4-starving it for gas -gravity.
As always, any thoughts or suggestion are appreciated. I am at a loss here. I need to get the bike on the road for transportation. My car lost it reverse on the trany. I really need to get this bike on the road!! I need to get it running right and get some tires. And oh yeah, on budget of close to zero.
HELP!! SOS!!! From clearwater Fla.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.