Protecting tank during rebuild

More
05 Oct 2007 08:50 #174711 by Link14
Protecting tank during rebuild was created by Link14
I'm in the process of a major (for me anyways) rebuild on a 1982 KZ750-H3 and have pulled the fuel tank for better access to everything. I usually keep my tanks as close to full as possible to prevent rusting, but I'd like to empty this one to work on the petcock and fuel level indicator.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to use to protect the metal inside the tank while it's drained. I was thinking of just spraying alot of WD40 into the tank and swirling it around, dumping out the excess. Wasn't sure it this would give me any problems when I filled it again and tried to start it up.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2007 11:18 #174732 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Protecting tank during rebuild
Link14 wrote:

... any suggestions on what to use to protect the metal inside the tank while it's drained. I was thinking of just spraying alot of WD40 into the tank and swirling it around, dumping out the excess. Wasn't sure it this would give me any problems when I filled it again and tried to start it up....

Believe the WD40 will do just fine and not give any problem at start-up (but wouldn't hurt to rinse out tank with a little fresh gas).

WD40 is also available in non-pressurized plain liquid form, which might be easier to just pour in and shake around.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Oct 2007 12:13 #174737 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic Protecting tank during rebuild
Patton wrote:

WD40 is also available in non-pressurized plain liquid form, which might be easier to just pour in and shake around.

Yes, WD40 is about $14 per gallon at Lowes/Home Depot/etc.

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

More
05 Oct 2007 13:55 #174757 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Protecting tank during rebuild
Here is a trick I learned from a customer of mine who owns a radiator and fuel tank repair business.

I simply emptied my tank completely and removed the petcock and gas cap and then I connected a 3 foot long vacuum cleaner hose to the top of the tank. Using a hair dryer I blew air from a hair dryer into the tank (through the gas cap opening at low speed.)

This easy process took about five minutes and once dry, there was no flash rusting.

The key is also to keep it in a warm dry area away from humidity and a cotton towel wrapped around the tank will help absorb any humidity in the air.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...