To pump or not?

• burnoutbob405
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2007 13:18 #174558 by burnoutbob405
To pump or not? was created by burnoutbob405
Hey everyone.

Im having trouble making a decision on which carbs I should use.

I have a 78' kz650 with what I believe to be the original carbs but I was recently given a set off a 79'.

The 79' has the accelerator pump and I figured that it could only improve the running condition but I just wanted a second opinion before I go buying rebuild kits for it.

I was also wondering how much I should adjust the air mixture screw seeing as how Im more in tune with the pilot screw. If there is anything else I should know about this model of carbs please let me know

Trent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2007 14:38 #174572 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic To pump or not?
The carbs are basically the same. They added the pump for better drivability due to leaner jetting. I have those carbs on my F1 and kits do not exist! The pump carbs require a different bowl gasket along with "o" rings. I had to come up with my own rings. Everything else is the same. I would say stick with the older carbs as they are much easier to work with. You can use the newer ones for any parts.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• burnoutbob405
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2007 19:16 #174608 by burnoutbob405
Replied by burnoutbob405 on topic To pump or not?
Well, just to let you know, I did end up finding an accelerator pump kit on this site

crc2onlinecatalog.com/misc_carb_parts.htm#KAWASAKI%20Acc

I couldn't find a carb rebuild kit for that exact year but after looking it over they have almost identical jets.
The gasket differs slightly but other than that there the same I guess.

In the end, I guess I won't fool around with em seeing as to how its just more work and all with little or no improvement from what I have been reading.

Thanks
Trent

More
04 Oct 2007 19:39 #174616 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic To pump or not?
Actually the bowl gaskets are the same whether you have pump carbs or not. Same gasket was used on 1977-1979 KZ650, 77-80 KZ1000 and the KZ650F1 too. The oring on the pump carbs fits in a circular opening in the gasket which is there on all the bikes, even the regular 78 and earlier type.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Oct 2007 06:14 #174687 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic To pump or not?
Ron is correct... all VM24 bowl gaskets are identical. The small oring described gaskets the spray nozzle inserted into each venturi.

As to whether the pump or non-pump carbs are "better", either will work fine but the pump adds another element of complication and if you own pump carbs, you had best know how to test them to ensure they work correctly and be able to repair any problems that inhibit their operation. If the pump doesn't work on a pumper assembly, the jetting is set up to work with the pump so the bike/carbs will not run optimally unless the pump is working right.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Oct 2007 08:02 #174701 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic To pump or not?
Ron, maybe I got brand "X" kits (don't remember brand) but they did not have openings for o rings. Tried to cut opening but not enough material. I had to order proper gaskets.:)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
05 Oct 2007 10:33 #174723 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic To pump or not?
I see what you mean. Those gaskets will not work. That's just the reason I try my hardest to stay away from anything aftermarket because this always happens. If you buy Kawasaki gaskets, they would have the cutout for the oring.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.