Bike stalls when choke is off

More
30 Sep 2007 18:00 #173808 by jack2006
Bike stalls when choke is off was created by jack2006
I just got my bike running after four years of storage.

Now that it's running it stalls everytime i take it off choke. I also think my idle setting is to low as it stalls easily even if on choke (actually it won't idle at all I have to rev it all the time).

Any of you guys know what the issue is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2007 18:13 #173812 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bike stalls when choke is off
Several possibilities.

Have you tried to increase the idle setting? It's the big knob at the top, rear of the carbs rack.

The idle jets could be clogged. When on choke, the main circuit comes into play and that is probably what the bike is running on. When you try to use the idle circuits, it stalls.

Before going too far into the carbs, you always want to verify the motor and ignition. They are easier to check than messing with the carbs.

You want to do a compression test first.
Then use a timing light to verify the ignition timing and advance curve.

If you get to the point where you have to take the carbs off and clean them, you may want to consider this carburetor mod for the 81 gpz 550. It uses the same carbs as your bike.
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZchokeScrewMod.html

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/09/30 21:14

More
30 Sep 2007 20:28 #173866 by jack2006
Replied by jack2006 on topic Bike stalls when choke is off
The idle I will have to adjust (i had to change the trhrottle cable so i guess its not properly adjusted)

As far as jest are concerned they might be plugged as you say ... the bike was sitting for 4 years as I mentioned in my previous posts...but i'm thinking of just taking it to the mechanic...I mean I did fix the electrical with your help but I just don't want to be taking it all apart now:( besides now I know why they charge so much for labor :)

More
01 Oct 2007 00:27 #173896 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bike stalls when choke is off
Yeah, the carb rebuild prices won't be cheap.

Taking the carbs off the bike is the worst part. If you have difficulties, try a hair dryer to warm up the rubber boots and manifolds slightly. The key is to have the airbox loose so you can pull the carbs back away from the engine then tilt them down or up to clear the intake manifolds.

More
01 Oct 2007 07:21 #173930 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike stalls when choke is off
jack2006 wrote:

...thinking of just taking it to the mechanic....they charge so much for labor :)

Would consider sending the carbs to wiredgeorge for no-nonsense super-competent restoration at very reasonable pricing, which includes actual on-the-road testing.

Look over here under The Essentials
>

Would also do everything suggested by loudhvx. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD