Normal Choke Behavior ?

More
30 Sep 2007 00:03 #173631 by Little B
Normal Choke Behavior ? was created by Little B
Hello All!

I was having a 'problem' that I now think might be normal behavior for the bike...

I start it without problems while it is set to full choke (if cold). But, within about 30 seconds the bike starts sounding 'bad' and dies. The only way for me to keep it from doing so is to give it gas with the throttle. But doing that until it warms up is kind of a pain...

Tonight I tried turning down the choke as this started to happen and the bike went to idle properly.

Is this normal? The reason I ask is because after checking the forums here, it seems like most people have the idle speed increase if they don't turn down/off the choke but mine does the opposite.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2007 17:37 #173797 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Normal Choke Behavior ?
It sounds normal to me. Perhaps it is something specific to the 750/4s with the Keihin CV 34 carbs.

I start with full choke. maybe blip the throttle a bit and I'd say within about 30 seconds I start to reduce the choke from full-on otherwise it will die. By the time I get to the end of the street It's good enough to let the choke off fully.
Hope this helps.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
30 Sep 2007 21:54 #173888 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Normal Choke Behavior ?
I feel much better knowing that, thanks JR!

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
01 Oct 2007 11:41 #173954 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Normal Choke Behavior ?
I guess other than the 550s, the 750 is the only KZ with non-Mikuni carbs. The choke system is a true choke. The big choke butterfly decreases airflow when shut and the mixture is therefor rich. I have never noticed too much difference starting the CV34s vs the BS34s... start with full choke, idle shoots up fairly high within seconds of starting, decrease choke to about 1/2 and the idle will settle in and then after a bit you can take the choke off completely. The time variance depends on outside temps.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
01 Oct 2007 18:48 #174068 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Normal Choke Behavior ?
Thanks for letting us know wiredgeorge! I'll keep experimenting & see how it goes!

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD