carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR

More
29 Sep 2007 20:41 #173606 by ronjones
carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR was created by ronjones
OK guys, I have an earlier thread w/a similar header, where I thought I had had it nailed. In that thread, I wrote that I had had good results using a 130 main and a 50 pilot. It wasn't perfect because I still had a bad hiccup transitioning from the pilot jet to the main. I could slowly accelerate to get through the transition but when I tried to do a hard acceleration from stop it would stumble bad...not good while merging into traffic. Since then I've tried just about every jet from 117.5 main up to 140 and 40 pilot up to 55 and nothing worked right. I, also, tried shimming the needles in conjunction w/the jet combinations. Most combinations were worse than the 130/50. A previously suggested combination of 42.5 pilots w/140 mains was one of the worst. I kept coming back to the non-tapered, blunt, stock jet needle just not working right, under load and the idiotic emission control underjetting. I did some more research and discovered that the Yamaha XS650 used the same Mikuni BS34 carbs. I also found out that an online store, MikesXS, sells the Canadian version (not emission control) of the jet needle/needle jets. Well, today I had my carbs sonic cleaned, found a bad o-ring on one of my float needle housings and put the Canadian jn/njs into my carbs and clipped the needle in the center, with 47.5 pilots and 125 mains, pilot screw 2 turns out from lightly seated. When she caught, after kicking it a few times, she started reving so high smoke was coming out of the exhaust and I thought maybe the cable was kinked. Anyway I backed the idle adjustment way down and got her to idle @ around 1k. This was the same idle setting I'd been using since I got her running and I had to back it way down before I got the idle right. I didn't have enough time to get out on the highway but took her out on the hilly road outside my place for a test ride. She performed almost perfect. Smooth shifting under load, uphill, all through the gears. Only got her up to about 45mph and the only problem is a bit of a "rattle" backfire in the mufflers under deceleration.
I think this means I may be running a little rich and unburned gas is detonating in the hot mufflers??? I will probably see what happens if I put 122.5 mains, maybe try to drop the pilots and play w/needle clip positions. Still gotta do the highway test but I think I've finally beaten the 750CSR/pods/jetting problem wooohooo
I'll let y'all know how the highway test goes but I'm very optimistic :D
Ron
BTW I've also found a guy on ebay that sell a plate, for the vulcans, that caps off the, valve cover, reed valves perfectly on my KZ. I hope this helps everyone that wants to get rid of the airbox.

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/09/29 23:50

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/09/30 20:53

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2007 04:53 #173642 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR
might wnt to do a plug chop to see how rich\lean it is on the mains. There might be more to be had. poping on decel usually means lean condition at the pilots.

More
30 Sep 2007 07:05 #173662 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR
thanks nads, I've got a new set of plugs just waiting for the plug chop test, but I wanted to wait until I got the accel problem licked. One of the reasons I thought it might be a little rich on the mains, causing the popping is because the "rules of thumb" I've read, 3 up on mains 1 up on pilots, from stock, for pods and pipes, would be 122.5 mains and 47.5 pilots. Since I now have the option of clip position, do ya think lowering the clip position (raising the needle) might be a better option than lowering the pilot to stock (45)? 115 is stock size for the mains.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
30 Sep 2007 16:42 - 21 Apr 2009 12:51 #173775 by ronjones
Took her out on a, 30 mile, test ride today. Hiway, up to around 70mph@ around 5100rpm, US routes, twisties, country roads, uphill @ low rpm in 5th, she was just about perfect. She's got more power than she ever has, kinda scared me @ 70mph, and had plenty left to give. Still, having that, bladdy-bladdy-pop-pop, muffler backfire comming down from hi accel. I haven't done any more find adjustments, yet.

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/10/03 16:33

Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 12:51 by ronjones.

More
30 Sep 2007 17:20 #173795 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR
Soooo.... who is this guy that sells those plates? Got an address? :cheer:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
30 Sep 2007 17:58 #173805 by ronjones
Bluemeanie wrote:

Soooo.... who is this guy that sells those plates? Got an address? :cheer:

Sure, this guy:)
motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfwsanco

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/09/30 21:01

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/09/30 21:22

More
16 May 2016 09:50 #726785 by Skullcrusher
Replied by Skullcrusher on topic carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR
Ordered needle jets and jet needles today. Hoping this gets her running strong.

Bikes: 82 kz750 CSR, 03 Suzuki gsf1200s (stage 2), 73 CB 750 bored to 849, big cam, ports head, big valves, lots of other goodies....

More
16 May 2016 10:28 #726798 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR

Skullcrusher wrote: Ordered needle jets and jet needles today. Hoping this gets her running strong.

Why are you posting on an 8 1/2 year old thread?
What does your post have to do with this discussion?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
17 May 2016 06:10 #726945 by Skullcrusher
I'll dig up old threads if I want, I didn't notice any rules against it. Was hoping op was still active to maybe offer an update on any additional tuning. What's your beef anyway? You took the time to ask these two questions that have nothing to do with the original topic, one of them asking me what my post had to do with the topic (which btw, if you read the thread you would know).

Go riding. You got too much time on your hands.

Bikes: 82 kz750 CSR, 03 Suzuki gsf1200s (stage 2), 73 CB 750 bored to 849, big cam, ports head, big valves, lots of other goodies....

More
17 May 2016 07:11 #726959 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR
usually it's best to link old threads and start your own. if you want to contact someone there is a PM feature. your post is quite vague with no immediately noticeable contribution. No rules against it, just etiquette. :whistle:

- good luck

More
17 May 2016 08:06 #726964 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic carb rejetting for pods KZ750 CSR

Skullcrusher wrote: I'll dig up old threads if I want, I didn't notice any rules against it. Was hoping op was still active to maybe offer an update on any additional tuning. What's your beef anyway? You took the time to ask these two questions that have nothing to do with the original topic, one of them asking me what my post had to do with the topic (which btw, if you read the thread you would know).

Go riding. You got too much time on your hands.

Wow.

Maybe this will help .....

If you click on the original poster's ID (in this case ronjones) his profile will appear. In it you can see the last time he visited KZRider. In this case the last time ronjones' "Last Visit Date" was 30 Nov 2014, so it is unlikely, although not impossible, that he would see your comment about jets.

Not trying to bust your balls, and you certainly didn't break any rules, it just seems like starting a new thread would be a better idea, especially if you can then follow up on with what bike you jetted, what jets were used, and whether or not the rejetting improved performance. That info sharing could be very helpful for someone else with the same bike who needs to rejet. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 May 2016 08:24 #726968 by Skullcrusher
OK....

Instead of starting a new thread and tapping away at my phone entering all the info that can be found above, I'll clarify.

I have same bike as op. 82 750 CSR. Got it without an air box. Has those cheap emgo pods. Currently have 125 mains and 50 pilots. Needle clip one down from middle. Waiting on the Canadian spec needles and needle jets to come to see if I get the same results op did. Currently falls on its face above a quarter throttle. Also fishing around for better filters until I can find a reasonable deal on a stock air box. Also fixing all the other idiotic shit the precious owner did to it like fitting two huge automotive ignition coils and flipping the reed valves in the emissions system upside down.