Petcock Diaphragm Cover

More
25 Sep 2007 14:59 #172817 by Tommotbird
Petcock Diaphragm Cover was created by Tommotbird
Hi I am just refurbing two KZ750 Ltd petcocks (we call them fuel taps here in the UK). I have bought the necessary repair kits with O rings and diaphragm. Does the diaphragm cover (the part which has TAIYOGIKEN stamped on it) have a one way valve in the vacuum tube. On one of mine I can suck air through the brass tube but can't blow air through. On the other I can suck and blow either way. Also does it matter on re-assembly which way the vacuum stub faces?
Tommotbird

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2007 08:44 #172935 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic Petcock Diaphragm Cover
the one that you can suck AND blow is missing a tiny bakelight/plastic piece inside the brass vacuum spigot port.

downward is a good way for the spigot to point.
however if you like it can go forward or backward according to the locator pins.

More
29 Sep 2007 23:46 #173629 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Petcock Diaphragm Cover
trippivot wrote:

the one that you can suck AND blow is missing a tiny bakelight/plastic piece inside the brass vacuum spigot port.

Hey trippivot...I think I might have a picture of what you are talking about on this site here .

If it is the part you are talking about, the last two pictures are probably the most relevant.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
01 Oct 2007 15:21 #174005 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic Petcock Diaphragm Cover
Yes that would seem to make sense. How important is the little bakelite/plastic part & is the petcock going to function OK without it. It seems to be quite difficult to unscrew the brass spigot without doing it some real damage.

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

More
01 Oct 2007 18:56 #174070 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Petcock Diaphragm Cover
Tommotbird wrote:

Yes that would seem to make sense. How important is the little bakelite/plastic part & is the petcock going to function OK without it. It seems to be quite difficult to unscrew the brass spigot without doing it some real damage.

I don't know how important it is because I put mine back in so I can't say if it would work without it.

However, I got mine out without any damage by using a correctly sized small wrench. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the small wrench though.

EDIT: BTW, after I rebuilt mine and had it re-connected to the gas tank, I tried moving its position from "on" to "prime" but it wouldn't budge. At first I thought I had messed something up. However, I was able to 'force' it to turn with some extra strength and since then it has not been an issue at all. Just wanted to add that in case you run into the same problem after the rebuild.

Post edited by: Little B, at: 2007/10/02 00:35

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD