Prime position?

More
23 Sep 2007 14:44 #172402 by The Milkman
Prime position? was created by The Milkman
I'm wondering, does the prime position on the vaccum petcock open up the reserve section too so that it drains that section of the tank?
I have my petcock connected to the #2 vaccum tap and it has started to run lean on that cylinder. If I take the hose off and put a cap on the port it runs better. I'm thinking of just keeping the cap on until my winter service and was wondering if prime does open the reserve section too. Any one know for sure?
Thanks,
Ride Safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2007 21:07 #172433 by ajohnson
Replied by ajohnson on topic Prime position?
I'm pretty sure that the prime will completely drain the tank, not 100% though. Also, unless the tap is busted, your leak must be coming from the vacuum line, which shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks, and can probably be found at any local auto parts store.
aj

More
24 Sep 2007 07:10 #172504 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Prime position?
Yes in prime position fuel is being drawn from the reserve tube on the petcock.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
24 Sep 2007 07:42 #172512 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Prime position?
If it's running lean on that cylinder, then that hose you're using to the petcock, may have a tear in it causing a vacuum leak. Capping #2 and running on PRI cures it? That should be your indication. Inspect that hose for any cracks, and replace it with a new one. Can't be more than 15 cents for the length you need. If you have this vacuum leak from that hose, your vacuum diaphragm in the petcock might not be opening completely, losing the battle against the diaphragm spring.

The only way I know to drain the tank completely, is to turn it upside down.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp