what to do?

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
12 Sep 2007 04:08 #170119 by BoZ650
what to do? was created by BoZ650
Ok!here it goes,After posting a question about carb set up,I was advised to a link on carb jetting formulas.After reading the link I came to the conclusion that for my kz650 with pods and 4to1exhuast I should move up 1 in pilot jets and up3 on main jet size.Also I should put the throttle valve in the middle position.(Has 5 Positions).After doing this and talking to my partner who has a 76KZ900,He told me that he has never in 30 years changed the needle position on any carb for these kz's.Im brand new at this,So im looking for a 2nd opinion.Im trying to avoid pulling the carbs off agian to change needle position as they are off now and much easier to do now!Thanks Guys!

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2007 06:10 #170136 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic what to do?
Formula? Bwhahahaha OK... here goes, leave the jet needle clip alone and change the jets and see how it runs; particularly if you are not comfortable with pulling the carbs. And stay away from formulas as they don't work... they might work for one set of carburetors but there is no universal formula that will work for all. The reason is that some carbs come lean from the factory and some are rich. Some are constant velocity and some are mechanical slide. The rule you stated will probably work for some 650 VM24 carbs OK... but if you try this rule with the later BS32 constant velocity carbs used on a 650, the bike won't pull 7K rpm if you add pods and an aftermarket pipe. I think this "rule" started on the XS1100 site if I recall correctly and definitely doesn't work well with the XS1100 BS34 carbs; I rejetted about a dozen sets of those things last year so the original author was... well didn't share the same opinion as I do.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Sep 2007 06:33 #170141 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic what to do?
wiredgeorge wrote:

The rule you stated will probably work for some 650 VM24 carbs OK... but if you try this rule with the later BS32 constant velocity carbs used on a 650, the bike won't pull 7K rpm if you add pods and an aftermarket pipe.

There are different formulas for different carbs and most formulas just give you a baseline jetting specs to start with.
The VM 24 formula wont work on the BS32 or a Holley 4 bbl.
Carb types are very different and therefore they have different formulas to get baseline settings.
Fish

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
12 Sep 2007 14:03 #170191 by BoZ650
Replied by BoZ650 on topic what to do?
wiredgeorge,
Thanks yet again!!I originally just wanted a baseline to start with and someone guided me to "the formula site"So I ran with it!Call me a rookie!Im learning so much!I quess i can get the thought out of my head that this things gonna start right up and purr as soon as im done building it.Ive got no problem taking carbs off just anxious to finnally ride.All though tearing it a part and figuring out where everything goes has been fun too!
Thanks Again
Tony

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!