Think i have a bad fuel line..... =(

More
11 Sep 2007 19:30 #170076 by KZ440_Crazy
Think i have a bad fuel line..... =( was created by KZ440_Crazy
O.k. here we go.
My Bike is a 1982 KZ440 LTD with only 1,240 original miles... I started it up today just to take it for a spin and when I went to give it gas it suddenly started to act like a moped and go no where(no power)... Fully PINNED it struggled to get to 30mph and lost speed going up a hill... So I managed to get it home and let it sit in my driveway for about 2 hours(off) and then when I went back to check, it pissed gasoline ALL under the bike... So I pulled it onto the grass and put a pan under it and let it sit. I have no idea what happened. The last time I started it was about 90days ago which I had the bike tuned and filled up with 93octane. Could a gas line from sitting for the past 25years be bad? I checked it and it seemed that it was dripping from the carbs over flow tube. Could it just be from being PINNEd that I flooded the carbs but no power? Should I drain the carbs again...
I don't want to start taking apart the thing until I know what's wrong... 90days ago it ran MINT! So if anyone could help me that would be great. I have had bikes in the past and I have never had this experience..
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2007 20:08 - 03 Dec 2008 09:38 #170086 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 09:38 by JMKZHI.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 Sep 2007 20:13 #170087 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Think i have a bad fuel line..... =(
Today's gasoline is crap! It goes stale in a quarter the time of when I was starting up with bikes.

Your first problem ( loss of power ) may well be a plugged air vent in the gas cap. The pissing carbs suggest dirt in the float valves. How clean is the tank? Take a carb bowl off without demounting the carbs. How much sediment do you find in there?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
12 Sep 2007 06:20 #170138 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Think i have a bad fuel line..... =(
Your petcock is malfunctioning. There isn't all that much gas in the float bowls and if you had a LOT of gas flow out when the bike was parked, the petcock is not shutting off. It may also be malfunctioning when riding. Check the vacuum line to the petcock for integrity and if it is good, then replace or rebuild the petcock.

also... didn't mean to disregard the info regarding fuel. It was good and correct. Drain tank and carbs and replace with 87 octane. Your bike is designed to run on 87 octane and 93 octane will cause incomplete/poor combustion and foul plugs and eventually soot up your combustion chambers.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/09/12 09:21

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Sep 2007 08:03 #170148 by AK 81 CSR
Replied by AK 81 CSR on topic Think i have a bad fuel line..... =(
Nice looking bike Crazy. Wiredgeorge is the expert in this area and I would certainly follow his advice. I've had similar problem with my bike (2Xs). The bike would spit gas/drool into the airbox and leak out from there. What was happening was I got some debri in the carbs that prevented the floats to closing completely alowing gas to continue flowing when the bike was running. I tapped the bowls with a rubber mallet to dislodged the crap and drained the bowls. It fixed the problem. I'd replace your old lines, put in an inline fuel filter with fresh gas. Check to see if you have any crap in your tank and clean that as well. Your petcock should have a filter on it in the tank you may whant to check its integrety. My bike experienced the same sluggish behavior you described when this occured due to flooding in the carbs. Let us know what you find out as this will help other member of this site. Good luck.:)

More
12 Sep 2007 18:52 #170244 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Think i have a bad fuel line..... =(
Great looking bike! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Sep 2007 18:53 #170776 by KZ440_Crazy
Replied by KZ440_Crazy on topic Think i have a bad fuel line..... =(
O.K... I got it done.. Thanks for all your help... It wasn't my fuel nor my fuel line as I originally thought...
It was infact the Floats... I draind the bowls, took the carbs out, undid the bowls and while i was playing with the floats I noticed that the one was getting stuck more then the other but both were dirty.. So I got my Carb Cleaner sprayed and played with them for 20mins and eventually they started working flawlessly... So after I put them back together I cut the fuel line and added a inline fuel filter between the carbs, You don't even see it. Started the bike up and then "Snap" no more overflow...
Thank you everyone for your help.. I would like to now nominate my bike for bike of the month... Its a 82 with 1,240 original miles...