Throttle Cable Too Tight

More
10 Sep 2007 09:41 #169783 by TkdFav
Throttle Cable Too Tight was created by TkdFav
When ever I turn my handle bars hard to the left my throttle cable gets pulled and my engine starts racing. I tried loosening the cable as much as possible, but it is still too tight. It is frayed in two spots from being too tight. I was wondering if anyone knows why this may be. Is it from age? Or do I need to buy a longer cable.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2007 19:54 #169910 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Throttle Cable Too Tight
Sure sounds like the cable is too short OR it is routed wrong! Cables are pretty cheap, I'd buy a new one and check routing.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
10 Sep 2007 20:07 #169915 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Throttle Cable Too Tight
Measure the length of the cables you currently have on the bike and compare them to the factory length. If they are the same see if the cables move freely when you rotate the throttle grip. If they move smoothly they should be fine. A little shot of WD-40 or some other type of lubricant sprayed into the cable might smooth things out.

You might also want to take off the tank to see if the throttle cable is routed correctly and not getting pinched where the tank and the frame meet at the rubber dampers. This was a problem that I once had. A simple re-routing and some Zip ties cleared up my throttle cable problem.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...