Who makes the best carb kits?

More
03 Sep 2007 19:19 #168330 by shighley
Who makes the best carb kits? was created by shighley
I'm still working on my son's '78 KZ650SR-D1. I want to know which brand of aftermarket carb kits are best. I've seen K & L and Keyster. I bought some bowl gaskets off of EBay and the fit is marginal to say the least. I don't know who made them. Any one with good experience? Please clue me in and thanks, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2007 06:13 #168401 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Who makes the best carb kits?
Both K&L and Keyster offer similar quality. Keyster kits tend to be more complete and more expensive. We are a K&L dealer and use K&L supplies but occasionally buy Keyster kits for carb types where the individual parts are not available or not in our stock. When we do, we generally buy the kits from z1enterprises as Keyster kit availability is kind of spotty in North America due to poor distribution. I can't comment on eBay gaskets but MOST of the gaskets sold on eBay are pretty amateurish. We buy our gaskets in bulk from a local company in San Antonio that sells motorcycle gaskets. When we can't get a specific type of gasket, we use K&L gaskets which are of the highest quality. K&L is a distributor and the gaskets and carb kits they put together are from parts made in Japan by companies that don't sell to the public and no one likely ever heard of.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1980ltd

More
04 Sep 2007 07:23 #168421 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Who makes the best carb kits?
for most of the K&L kits, the brass parts are made by Keyster.

Generally the kits are OK - where they tend to have issues is with pilot (slow) jets not working as well as factory Mikuni or Keihin jets, and some have just one main jet when the kit covers several similar models that should have different jet sizes.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1980ltd

More
04 Sep 2007 18:04 - 03 Dec 2008 09:40 #168567 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 09:40 by JMKZHI.