Proper jets?

More
02 Sep 2007 20:34 #168119 by AeroSS_87
Proper jets? was created by AeroSS_87
Hey guys. I'm just wanting to know what size jets and what slot to put the clips in on the needles for my KZ550. It's stock engine, kerker pipe, and will have pods on them. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2007 08:03 #168200 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Proper jets?
What bike model exactly?

I'm assuming it's the 82 KZ550 C3 (LTD) from your photo. Those use Teikei TK-22 carbs.

The stock main is a 92. The stock USA needles (4D92) are not adjustable. If you have the adjustable version of the needles (4D93), which come in some of the rebuild kits out there, you want it on the second groove from the top, which matches stock, or the third groove from the top, which makes it richer than stock. Don't mess with shims on the needles, it can cause them to bind in the carb.

With Kerker alone, you can sometimes just use the stock settings in the carbs, but 94 mains would probably help.

With Kerker and pods you'll want 96 or 98 mains and maybe use the third groove on the needle if you have that option.

If you set the airscrews at idle, and the proper mixture results in a 1/2 turn out or less, you may want to consider enlarging the stock 32 pilot jet to 37, but only if you are not satisfied with the idle (and slightly off-idle) performance.

You can use small Keihin jets, but not Mikuni.

Here's another mod for those carbs you may want to consider if you're having cold-idle issues.
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZchokeScrewMod.html

If it's not a C3 LTD then this info may not apply.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/09/03 11:11

More
03 Sep 2007 10:12 #168232 by AeroSS_87
Replied by AeroSS_87 on topic Proper jets?
wow thanks alot for the detailed response!