Oy, this ones gonna be hard

More
02 Sep 2007 19:55 #168114 by circusnuts
Oy, this ones gonna be hard was created by circusnuts
Purchased the bike a few months ago and I know it might seem hard believe, but I took my first ride this evening.

Anywho, the bike was very lethargic -- hit the gas and it began to stumble or die altogether. I also noticed a ticking sound from time to time (something external to the motor). It's either small backfires through the carbs (29mm Mikuni and wire mesh air filters) or maybe the charging system (???). The sound reminded me of a car A/C clutch engaging and disengaging (seemed to pull the motor down a little when it happened).

Kinda bummed, as it looks like I’m going to have to put some time into this thing before I really know what’s going on.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2007 08:39 #168211 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Oy, this ones gonna be hard
There isn't enough information in this post to even offer a guess... no info regarding state of tune or compression, no info regarding type of ignition or what components are used or even general ignition health and no info on how the carbs are jetted.

If you go into a doctor's office and say "Doc, I feel sick, can you tell me what it is???" Well, at least the doc can see you and take a guess if is your feet hurting or your ears. Detailed info WILL help...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
03 Sep 2007 09:11 #168221 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Oy, this ones gonna be hard
Ya...more info for sure.

I'm gonna guess that maybe Your carbs are "spitting"??(the noise You're hearing)
Timing might be out of whack?
Valves need to be shimmed properly?

Need details Bud.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
03 Sep 2007 09:39 #168226 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Oy, this ones gonna be hard
I'll take a stab with a couple of guesses here.

When the "wire and mesh" air filters were installed, were the carbs rejetted to compensate for the increased airflow? If not, that could explain it being leathargic and it stumbling and wanting to die when you crack the throttle.

External ticking sound, and sounds like an auto AC comp kicking on and off?
Have you checked the condition of the drive chain and sprockets yet?
If the chain is worn, dry, and/or to tight it could be the sound you're hearing.
Shouldn't take you more than a few secs to see if the chain is suspect, and perhaps a min total to elevate the rear wheel and spin it to see if that's actually the cause of the noise.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
06 Sep 2007 10:18 #168970 by circusnuts
Replied by circusnuts on topic Oy, this ones gonna be hard
Thanks guys. The description I gave was next to nothing, from a technical standpoint.

Basically, the bike is running out of gas. I am going to look at it this weekend, starting from the gas tank on down to the carbs.

Question:
Is it best to rebuild the petcock or replace?

Thanks
Phil

Post edited by: circusnuts, at: 2007/09/06 13:19

More
06 Sep 2007 11:04 #168979 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Oy, this ones gonna be hard
Your petcock has: ON RES OFF positions. Remove the gas hose(s) from the petcock. Put the petcock in the ON position. Test both the ON and RES positions to see if gas flows when you put the petcock in those positions. If it flows, put it back in the OFF position and see if it leaks. If gas flows where it should and shuts off as it should, find something else to spend your money on. If the petcock doesn't work as it should, then consider removing the two retaining bolts and inspecting the screen on the petcock. If the petcock in-tank petcock screens are obstructed, cleaning might do the trick and restore function. If you clean and still get no fuel, then pop the gas cap lid and see if fuel comes out. The cap is vented and the venting may be obstructed and a vacuum set up inside the tank which doesn't allow gas flow.

I suggest you address the state of tune issue because if your bike has no compression, is not timed properly or has a bad ignition or bad ignition components, no amount of fooling with the fuel system will help it run. Its like pouring whiskey into the mouth of a dead man trying to get him drunk. Now, if you have already verified all the possible issues that affect the bike's operation and they are tip-top shape, then I apologize and won't bring these things up again. I work on bike's for a living and have found that most carburetor/fuel problems on a motorcycle are due to tuning issues and not the carburetors.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
06 Sep 2007 11:40 #168993 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oy, this ones gonna be hard
wiredgeorge wrote:

...like pouring whiskey into the mouth of a dead man trying to get him drunk....

:laugh: Hoping some Good Samaritan will do that for me when the time comes. :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Sep 2007 14:43 #169027 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic Oy, this ones gonna be hard
No kidding. Reminds me of that country song:

Fill my boots up with sand, put a stiff drink in my hand
Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die.

More
06 Sep 2007 16:17 #169049 by circusnuts
Replied by circusnuts on topic Oy, this ones gonna be hard
WiredGeorge, thanks for the info. I will do just as you say.

I bought the bike from out state (live near DC and shipped from IL). The prev owner claimed to have installed a set of 29mm, Dyna ignition and new O.E. coils.

circusnuts.com/kz_ri2.JPG

Stay tuned!

Thanks
Phil