What solvent to use for dissolving Threebond (medium-red) Threadlock?

More
01 Sep 2007 09:36 #167729 by old650
Earlier in the summer I re-synched my carbs and set the carb adjusters (on top) and their lock nuts with a dab of medium threebond. Now I want to dissolve this previous application and reset for the last time this year. What common solvent will remove medium Threebond Threadlock and not harm my carb rack? Thanks.

Post edited by: old650, at: 2007/09/01 12:37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2007 08:41 #167959 by Bluemeanie
IMHO I don't think its necessary to use locktite there. I just lock 'em down and have had no problems! But, try some "carb" spray, seems to destroy and dissolve everything it touches. Amazing stuff!!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
03 Sep 2007 09:10 #168219 by wiredgeorge
Carb spray won't break the bond of Loctite. It wasn't a great idea to Loctite... I would go to their website and see if they sell a solvent. If you are adventurous, you might try heat because that DOES break the bond... just remove your fingers and anything flamable from the direction of the torch. Put a wrench on the nut and as soon as the heat breaks the bond and the nut turns, get it off. Some carb assemblies use Loctite on the 6mm bracket bolts and they are truly a misery to remove even with heat.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
03 Sep 2007 15:31 #168285 by Duck
Heat until the solvent is soft and remove. Careful not to damage plastic and rubber with the heat.

More
11 Sep 2007 17:47 #170053 by old650
Duck wrote:

Heat until the solvent is soft and remove. Careful not to damage plastic and rubber with the heat.

Thanks. I didn't think that it would be much of an issue, being a medium grade thread lock. I have a spare carb rack that I can cannibalize, if need be. Live and learn.;)

More
19 Sep 2007 20:14 #171662 by old650
Resynched today and the threadlock wasn't much of an issue. I squirted a little WD-40 and got the adjusting screws/lock nuts loosened enough for adjustment. Actualy I kind of like that there is resistance. Maybe the synch adjustments will last longer this way. Time will tell I suppose. The war pony sure got perkier after some tuning. :cheer: