teikei carburetor stupid questions!

More
30 Aug 2007 12:22 #167391 by iandz500
teikei carburetor stupid questions! was created by iandz500
two hopefully simple questions for some one out there!

1) is the choke on or off when it is in the horizontal position?

2) to speed up the idle do i turn the knurled knob in or out?

3) i presume turning the knob in means less air = richer mixture and turning it out means more air = leaner mixture?

Thanks
Ian
(Sorry but i've got to learn somewhere/somehow!!!)

Bikes: 1960 lambretta Li125 sold; 2001 Honda CG125 sold; 2006 Yamaha FZ6 sold; 1980 Kawasaki Z500 sold; 1967 BSA Bantam D10; 2008 Aprilia Shiver sold; 2010 KTM Duke 690R; 1954 BSA Bantam; 1980ish Kawasaki Z200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2007 15:54 #167426 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic teikei carburetor stupid questions!
On TK22 which is on most of the z500's, the choke is on when the lever is up and horizontal. The choke is off when the lever is down and vertical.

The idle-speed knob raises the idle speed by opening the throttle. Turning the knob in (as in tightening a screw) raises the speed.

The mixture is set by the little recessed screws on the side of each carb. Turning the screw in gives a richer idle, turning it out gives a leaner idle. These should be generally set to give the fastest idle which is normally between 1 to 1.5 turn out from fully seated. (Don't seat them hard, they can get damaged.)

The first thing you need is a good manual. nothing is better than the factory service manual. Clymers are ok if you can get them for just a few models and years. Often they have compilation manuals that cover every year and model for an entire product line. Those are useless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.