Another BS34 Q

More
27 Aug 2007 17:16 #166720 by Jay_G
Another BS34 Q was created by Jay_G
Putting back together a set of Mikuni BS34's for my project and have a problem.
I have two sets of the carbs, the ones i am putting back together didn't have the plugs with the o-ring on the pilot jets and the set i am using for parts do, do i need to use these plugs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2007 17:19 #166724 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Another BS34 Q
Yep, but dont know why. If they are there and they have O-rings they must be there for an important reason.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
28 Aug 2007 05:20 - 03 Dec 2008 09:49 #166832 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 09:49 by JMKZHI.

More
28 Aug 2007 12:11 #166906 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Another BS34 Q
Pilot jet plugs on a BS34? Depends on which one you have. Get a flashlight. If the carbs are off the bike, remove a main jet. Remove the brass washer under the main jet. Tap the main jet holder tube down into the venturi (AWAY FROM THE FLOAT BOWL). It is press fit. Note that there is a plastic or metal ear inside the the well where the main jet holder tube just was removed. This ear is used in conjunction with a slot in the main jet holder to orient the holder in a specific direction once reinstalled... anyway, at this point, there will be a HOLE in the inside of the cast piece that held the main jet holder tube and the hole will be adjacent to the pilot jet well IF the set you have uses plugs. The plugs are used because the pilot jet picks up gas from the main jet well and not the pilot jet well. If there is no hole between the main and pilot wells, your set doesn't use plugs. If there is, your set DOES use plugs.

The plug on a KZ style BS34 will be aluminum or pot metal of some sort and use an oring. The oring is there to keep gas from just passing by. The plug doesn't need to be fitted super tight; there is a small tab inside the float bowl which puts some pressure on the plug when the bowl is in place and tight. If the oring is the correct size, you can put a small coating of grease on it and it will just push in. It will be hard to put in without grease. It should be tight enough so it doesn't fall out if you turn the carbs over without the bowls on.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!