Dumb Air screw question

More
27 Aug 2007 16:22 #166710 by prhladio
Dumb Air screw question was created by prhladio
I have a 1980 KZ650 LTD.
I took the carbs off to clean and bench sync them. Everything on this bike is stock and I'm pretty sure the carbs are Mikuni VM24SS. I didn't see any air screws so I checked for a pilot screw on the engine side and didn't see one. My Clymer manual says the air screws on 1980 and on were covered with a cap. How should I get the caps off without damaging the screw below it?

1980 KZ650E1 LTD - WG coil mod, converted to electronic ignition, loudhvx home made ignitor using HEI ignition parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2007 17:17 #166722 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Dumb Air screw question
Most of the time you just drill them out, but dont use pilot point drill bits or you will be looking for trouble.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
27 Aug 2007 18:34 #166746 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Dumb Air screw question
yeah I always drill them but be very very very carefull. If you drill through and the drill hits that screw your going to have a bitch of a time getting it to turn. Those screws damage real easy and if the drill hits it your going to ruin the screw driver slot and that is NO FUN!

You can possibly put a buttload of electrical tape on the drill so you don't drill in to far. Ya know what im sayin? Kind of use the tape as a stopper. Start a very small way up the drill. If it doesn't make it all the way through the cap, take the tape off and move it up a tiny bit.

Someone else may know how long that cap is, I don't offhand. I don't want to steer you wrong man so just be REALLY CAREFULL!

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
28 Aug 2007 07:28 #166850 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Dumb Air screw question
I had a homemade 1/8" wide chisel, carefully tapped away until I was able to pry off caps. Worked well, be careful and work slowely. Good luck!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
28 Aug 2007 11:57 #166903 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Dumb Air screw question
The air screws on your bike are more than 1/8" below the blank plug. Drill a 1/8" hole in the blank plug. Heat the plug a bit with a torch and then it will just pry out easily using a nail or something along those lines. Before drilling, it doesn't hurt to use an automatic center punch or punch a dimple in the center manually.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 Aug 2007 14:53 #166940 by prhladio
Replied by prhladio on topic Dumb Air screw question
Thanks for all the advice. I did the small hole and heated it with a torch, they came out no problem at all.

1980 KZ650E1 LTD - WG coil mod, converted to electronic ignition, loudhvx home made ignitor using HEI ignition parts