need help with fuel lines

More
26 Aug 2007 20:43 #166534 by rubbercity
need help with fuel lines was created by rubbercity
i have a 80 ltd 650 that i just got recently and the fuel lines from the tank were disconnected. lookin at the petcock theres 2 lines runnin from it a larger diameter line and a smaller diameter line. lookin at the carbs theres a line runnin from inbetween the middle carbs with a filter on it that i assume the larger diameter line hooks in to and theres 2 smaller lines runnin from 2 carbs i think the outer carbs but would have to check to make sure they was the ones. i think the 2 lines from the carbs t into the smaller diameter line from the petcock. is this how it goes i got a book but it dont really show how they hook up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
26 Aug 2007 21:01 #166541 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic need help with fuel lines
You have a brass tube coming off each intake runner, one should be capped off, one is hooked to the petcock to open the diaphram allowing the fuel to flow, and 2 of them are used for the pollution control system. Off the top of my head I think #1 and #4 are for the pollution control system, #2 goes to the petcock and #3 should be capped. I can check out one of my bikes in the morning to verify that this is correct.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
27 Aug 2007 05:58 #166584 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic need help with fuel lines
rubbercity, Don't you think your bike year/model might be a bit significant? Edit your profile to add this info to a signature so that when you post, folks will have some context for answering.

There are both BS and VM Carb Connections links on our website showing pics of both type carbs for connecting them. Under "wg's Tech Stuff Index".

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
27 Aug 2007 09:46 #166625 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic need help with fuel lines
The large hose with the filter does indeed go to the larger fitting on the petcock.
The other two hoses you described are the float bowl vent hoses, and should route up over the airbox and around the air filter lid.
Do NOT cap these two smaller hoses off or connect them to anything else, or you stand the chance of preventing your float bowls from intaking fuel/venting properly.

The smaller hose that connects to the small fitting on the petcock should connect to a small brass fitting on the front, left side of carb #2.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
28 Aug 2007 09:53 #166881 by rubbercity
Replied by rubbercity on topic need help with fuel lines
thanks for the info fellas. ill let ya know how it goes.