To much oil on K&N drop in air fiilter??

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
22 Aug 2007 20:32 #165765 by oldkaws4ever
To much oil on K&N drop in air fiilter?? was created by oldkaws4ever
ok i think i went overboard on oiling my k&n drop in air filter in my 74 z1 900. Now it is really hard to start and has no power. The only way i can get it to start, wether it is screaming hot or ice cold is with full choke. I think what might have happend is, the excess oil was sucked into the carbs, in return gumming them up. Does this sound right?? Im going to get a can of seafoam tommorow and run it through my tank. I also want to put im an oem paper filter. But for now i rinsed out the filter with water and got out all the red oil. Im goingf to let it dry overnight and see iff its any better tommorow. If this is any help, when i took the filter out it is easy to start.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2007 06:06 #165821 by billz
If you don't have it already, get a can/bottle of the K&N Filter cleaner. It will remove the dirt and oil. If it's oil I can't imagine that rinsing with water will help since they don't mix. For the oil to be sucked into the carbs, I'd think you would have had them swimming in oil. I replaced my filter once (before going to K&N's) with a stock filter from Kawasaki. The bike ran the same as you described. I'd pull the filter & it ran perfectly, so I took it back to the shop for an exchange.

Bill

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
23 Aug 2007 12:26 #165882 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic To much oil on K&N drop in air fiilter??
well i took the bike out this morning and it was still running like shit. For the hell of it i threw on a set of new dyna spark plug wires, SHE fired up on the first touch of the button. I took it for a ride and she has shitloads of power. When i got home i left her running on the side stand for maby 30 seconds and it shut off and would not start. And it sounds like the battery is dead, so i have it on trickle charge. Also when i took of the old wirs the was some black carbon dust were the spark plug wires plug into the coil, Im goingto go out and clean the coils and wires.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois