carbs

• minderbinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Aug 2007 18:36 #165271 by minderbinder
carbs was created by minderbinder
hey, i just got a '76 kz900 and i've the carbs about 90% dialled in. the only problems i have are that the idle rises quite a bit as it warms up and there is the slightest little hesitation/stutter immediately off throttle, although i can power right through it. i've set the floats to factory specs but i'm suspicious that the fuel level might still be a tad on the high side as i've been finding a small amount of gas in the intake manifold vacuum plugs and the exhaust tends to rumble a bit on the decel. any advice? thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2007 06:14 #165359 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carbs
Are you using the stock airbox and pipes? The gas in the vacuum ports in your carb holders is normal. Atomized fuel does go through to the combustion chamber and will settle there. Sounds like you are a bit lean in the pilot circuit. What jetting are you using? By what method did you set the floats?

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/08/21 09:15

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• minderbinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Aug 2007 08:55 #165386 by minderbinder
Replied by minderbinder on topic carbs
it has k&n's and a denco 4-1. i'm using the stock pilot, needle all up and a 122.5 main. i have been setting the floats on the bench with a plunge caliper to 22mm, but after reading some of the carb posts i'm heading to the hardware store today to fab up a level checker. i've been reading that float level is a pretty common issue with these carbs. oh, and air screws are about 1 1/4 turn out. no other setting seems to help.

More
21 Aug 2007 10:53 #165414 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carbs
The 76 carbs are fairly rich from the factory and can accomodate pods / pipes fairly well with just a switch of the main jets... perhaps a #120 would be right. Turn your air screws in some to see if you can eliminate the backfiring... The method you used to adjust the floats is pretty much a waste of time. Use a 1/4" straight vacuum fitting to set the float level screwed into the drain hole of one of the carb bowls. Connect a clear piece of plastic tubing to it and get the carbs LEVEL. Open petcock. Remove any air bubbles (tap or blow into tube) without moving the hose once gas is turned on. If gas is too low in bowl, bend the float tang up a little (tang contacts float needle). Adjust to about 1/8" below gasket mating surface. It takes a bit of patience.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!