vacuum leak fixed?

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
19 Aug 2007 13:49 #164881 by riverroad
vacuum leak fixed? was created by riverroad
On another post I went through fixing two epoxied spark plug holes, started it up and was greeted by a 3500rpm idle. I removed all the air suction system and plugged all the holes with new caps, ran a piece of hose between the reed valves. The rpms dropped to about 2000 rpms, (idle screw all the way out). Sprayed little squirts of WD-40 around all the carb boots etc., and didn't note any changes in idle anywhere. So then I decided to fix this annoying little fuel leak I've had for a while. It was a pin hole in one of the rubber fuel transfer hoses I believe is fed by the accelerator pump.
Suddenly, the bike idles normally. Is it possible my vacuum leak was because of this tiny little pin hole that dripped maybe one drop of fuel every three minutes?
Or did some other freaky thing happen? I hate it when I fix something and I don't know how. :S

Also, in my Clymers, page 193, it talks about a vacuum sensor. Mine appears to be missing. There is a place for one to be there, but there is no cover or screws there, just the holes. Is this sensor only needed on certain models?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
19 Aug 2007 21:21 #165008 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic vacuum leak fixed?
Hi Riverroad,

"Is it possible my vacuum leak was because of this tiny little pin hole that dripped maybe one drop of fuel every three minutes?"

I really doubt that the leak you describe would affect your idle. It's more likely that in repairing the leak you jostled something else and caused it to seal where it had previously been leaking air.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
20 Aug 2007 05:37 #165075 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic vacuum leak fixed?
Thanks KZCSI, that's what I figured. Dammit. So as far as I'm concerned it's still broke, even though its runnin good. Square one.
And I looked real close around all the carb boots with light and mirror, and they all 'look' brand new.
But number two carb, the one with the accelerator pump bothers me. First, it has that missing vacuum sensor thing. Don't know whether I need it or not. And it has VICE MARKS IN IT! Some clown chucked it up in a vice for some reason, no rag, and beat upon it for some reason. So now I'm wondering if anything is warped in there.
First it's spark plugs JB welded in the f*$^%%# head, now it's hammer time on a carb. WTF!?! What's next? Duct taped shifter forks?? :pinch: :angry: