new guy with 76 kz900 and some questions

More
21 Aug 2007 06:23 #165365 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic new guy with 76 kz900 and some questions
Geeesh... just took a couple days off and you guys are holding my funeral bwhahaha The jets you have in your carbs are fine. Leave them alone. #17.5 pilots and #120 mains. Clip 5DL31 to 3rd slot if not already there.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2007 18:43 #165494 by tsm3rdz
Replied by tsm3rdz on topic new guy with 76 kz900 and some questions
Thanks again everybody for chiming in and helping out. Thanks wired goerge, I'll leave them where they are at then. Cgray34, I haven't made it that far yet, bike just has no power whatsoever, it will rev to redline, but it's like waiting on grass to grow:) Just pulled the valve cover off last night, checking the valves and chain/tensioners is next on the list. Haven't checked the needle yet, but I'll make sure it's in the 3rd slot.

Thanks again everyone
Ben

76 kz 900 streetfighter - monoshocked, newer forks, etc.
My build thread:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/221000...streetfighter-i-hope

More
22 Aug 2007 07:11 #165589 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic new guy with 76 kz900 and some questions
Ben, Why not try stating your problem and fishing a bit for solutions. If your bike doesn't accelerate well, have you done the following:

1. test compression
2. checked valve clearances, adjust cam chain tension and check cam chain timing
3. changed or adjusted plugs/points
4. checked timing
5. cleaned/lubed and checked function of mechanical timing advance
6. cleaned/flushed sediment in gas tank and removed petcock and cleaned screen and installed a new gas filter
7. changed plug wires/caps
8. checked coil voltages

If you haven't done those things, I would do them BEFORE messing with the carbs as you will likely correct most of the acceleration issues somewhere in that list. I would also do the things in the order suggested. If you have a bike where there are unknowns, best to baseline every possible mechanical area from the inside out. In other words, it won't help to rejet your carburetors if the valves or timing is the issue as no amount of rejetting can fix these issues...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!