main jet size

More
12 Aug 2007 10:02 #163386 by squints
main jet size was created by squints
I am switching out the airbox for t\individual pods and I'm rejetting. The main jet in there now is size #90. According to the rejetting size guide in the filebase it says to go up one size (92.5). That is not a listed size on z1's site, would a #95 be OK?

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
12 Aug 2007 11:34 #163408 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic main jet size
Are you just installing pods, or a 4-into-1 exhaust too?

Due to diff variables between identical model bikes (state of ignition, valve clearance, proper carb balance, mileage, type of exhaust and/or pods, etc.) it's hard to place an exact recommendation on jet sizing, but the "average" jet change listing should get you close.
If it were me, I'd go up at least two sizes (#95) to be on the safe side. The worse that will happen is you will be running a little rich (a LOT better than running lean) and possibly fouling plugs. In which case you'll know that you need to go one size smaller. ;)

BTW, which bike is this for?

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
12 Aug 2007 13:37 #163419 by squints
Replied by squints on topic main jet size
just pods. on the 650. its not worth doing the 4-1 deal just yet. I'm just tring to get her running , period.

ok, i can deal with running it rich for now. but in the future, is there a size ni between 90 and 95? I dont know how much difference it will make really.

cool, thanks dude

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

More
14 Aug 2007 04:43 #163747 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic main jet size
It won't make a lick of difference if you choose a #90 main or #92.5 main. Both are on the lean side... the carbs you have were too lean to begin with. Start with some #102.5 mains. You could likely use #105s as well without running rich on top. Mikuni main jets are sized in 2.5 increments. That is: 90, 92.5, 95, 97.5, etc. All are available. www.z1enterprises.com has most all of them in stock I suspect. I don't bother carrying many of the sizes UNDER #102.5 because that size main jet works well for a stock airbox VM24... not the little #90 or #92.5 mains you have.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Aug 2007 04:57 #163752 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic main jet size
squints, my carbs came stock with 102.5 mains. I heard this before with some KZ 650 came with 90 for emissions:pinch: . I w ould go with the 105 jets if
I was changing to pods, and had a stock exhaust.

Do you have aftermarket coils or stock, I know that ignition will have an effect on jet size too.

Another idea is to go to the filebase and in there it will tell you how to fine tune your carbs for optimal performance.