Is this a Petcock part?

More
11 Aug 2007 22:08 #163315 by Little B
Is this a Petcock part? was created by Little B
Hey Y'all. I'm painting my gas tank and while doing so decided to clean up the Petcock, get rid of the rust and then replace all of the replaceable parts using a petcock rebuild kit.

But, I wasn't paying close enough attention and found an 'extra' part in my rust removing solution bowl.:whistle: Based on what I was doing at the time, the part has to be part of the gas cap lock or the petcock...

Here are the parts:

Inside the Diaphragm cover:

Inside the latch holder:

By best guess is that these two babies..

go together like this.

Has anyone taken apart one of these and noticed this little do-hickey before? The Clymer manual for the 81 Kaw KZ750H2 only shows the brass piece screwed into the aluminum Diaphragm Cover.

I want to make sure I put this back together correctly because having a 're-do' on this would be a real pain...

Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: Fixed Images so they wouldn't jack up the text.

Post edited by: Little B, at: 2007/08/12 02:48

Post edited by: Little B, at: 2007/08/12 02:52

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2007 18:44 #163448 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Is this a Petcock part?
It's not shown in this parts diagram, but they don't have it removed.
Is that little piece a screen?

That nipple is the Vacuum connection correct? Then it shouldn't be needing a screen. Could be a venturi or something though. :S

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2007/08/12 21:45

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2007 18:58 #163451 by KZPens
Replied by KZPens on topic Is this a Petcock part?
Here is a pic off a petcock taken apart from an 81 750LTD, mabye it helps. They are in order on how the go together.

More
13 Aug 2007 07:55 #163519 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Is this a Petcock part?
Thanks for the help guys.

Yes, it is the vacuum piece. Part # 21 in the below diagram. No, it isn't a screen. It is solid with one side totally flat and the other sort of slightly rounded. It looks like a screen because whatever material it is made from has those little 'dot marks' on it.

Do you think that this part might help 'seal' the vacuum side for when the engine isn't running? Maybe the actual Kawasaki service manual will have it broken down. That should arrive any day now.

What is a venturi?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
13 Aug 2007 18:11 #163671 by KZPens
Replied by KZPens on topic Is this a Petcock part?
Ok, I unscrewed my vacuum piece, after I removed the nipple I looked inside and it looked like something was there, white with a tiny hole in the middle, it didn't come out though. My guess is it belongs where you thought it goes if it has a hole in the middle.

Good luck !

More
13 Aug 2007 18:35 #163678 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Is this a Petcock part?
Thanks for doing that KZPens! I feel a lot better now. B) If it leaks, I'll let everyone know.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
13 Aug 2007 20:20 #163696 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Is this a Petcock part?

What is a venturi?

A venturi is:

"The Venturi effect is an example of Bernoulli's principle, in the case of fluid flow through a tube or pipe with a constriction in it. The fluid velocity must increase through the constriction to satisfy the equation of continuity, while its pressure must decrease due to conservation of energy: the gain in kinetic energy is supplied by a drop in pressure or a pressure gradient force. The effect is named after Giovanni Battista Venturi, (1746–1822), an Italian physicist"

The carburetor throats are Venturis.

A Venturi meter is shown in a diagram, the pressure in "1" conditions is higher than "2", and the relationship between the fluid speed in "2" and "1" respectively, is the same as for pressure.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments: