I want to put Mikuni VM roundslides on my 750 twin

More
04 Aug 2007 22:41 #161792 by tobiism
But I don't know what size would be best to use. I was thinking that the 36's would be the best choice. Has anyone done this and what was your experience? At the moment I'm running a single Keihin 40CV on a 2into 1 manifold, but I'd like to step up to the roundslides.
Any info would be helpful.
Thanks!
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
05 Aug 2007 06:04 #161821 by Biquetoast
tobiism wrote:

....At the moment I'm running a single Keihin 40CV on a 2into 1 manifold...

First, you must post pics and details about the two-into-one manifold!!

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
05 Aug 2007 12:20 #161892 by steell
I think that SmithGPz used 36's on his 750 twin (pics in the Gallery), but I'm not totally sure. IIRC, he bought them new and paid ~$400 for them.

KD9JUR

More
06 Aug 2007 08:26 #162033 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic I want to put Mikuni VM roundslides on my 750 twin
MANY older bikes used round slide carbs. To do this, they didn't use a common bracket or two into one manifold. They use a cable that splits into a Y and each leg pulls up the slide. There is a spring atop each slide to return the slide. This system is used on the two-stroke 500 and 750... look at the diagrams for those bikes. The chokes are sometimes linked on a twin but sometimes only one carb is choked (enrichened) to get the bike started. I suspect if you had 38mm CV carbs, a 30mm or 32mm set of twin carbs would be about right. Watch the eBay auctions as they are often available in pairs. You will have to buy the appropriate carb holders and make some mods for the mounting bolts (elongate slots or whatever) and figure out how to add sync ports...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Aug 2007 21:58 #163479 by tobiism
Biquetoast wrote:

tobiism wrote:

....At the moment I'm running a single Keihin 40CV on a 2into 1 manifold...

First, you must post pics and details about the two-into-one manifold!!

Hi there! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I made the manifold for this setup out of some 1 3/4" 180* bends I had laying around. The pipe fits right inside the carb holders bolted to the head. Then I used a piece of radiator hose that I cut down to about 2.5" and that clamps around the end of the manifold and the carb itself. Then I welded a couple of brackets to the rear downtubes of the frame that bolt to a piece of alloy bolted to the carb itself. So far its running pretty well but still needs to be fine-tuned.
I mainly just wanted to try it out to see how well it worked. I figured hey, just one of these carbs work great on my Sportster, so why wouldn't it work on my twin KZ?

[img