jetting?

More
30 Jul 2007 19:25 #160817 by paradon
jetting? was created by paradon
I have a stock 1983 550M1. Going with pods and have drilled the stock exhaust open a little. Carbs feel like there starving 4 something but I dont know what (gas or air)? Any help would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2007 06:01 #160871 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic jetting?
Have you already stuck the pod filters on? This sure isn't clear from your post. If you have, then you are likely wanting gas and not more air since the pods are already supplying a lot more air. If you feel the need to check this, close the choke some while you are accelerating and if this seems to make matters better, then you are indeed in need of more gas. You can use Keihin main jets; they don't look anything like the stop-sign jets in your bike but they have the same thread and same jet orifice size. Not sure if you can get new pilot jets; I don't think you can but if you can, go up one size on the pilot. What size main jet comes stock on your bike? (I am too lazy to do the research). It is probably about a #110 main? (this is a guess); If so, you will need to go up to between a #130 and 140 main... buy several main jet sets and start at the bottom size and see where you run out of gas and go up a couple sizes till you find you can cleanly pull redline.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 Aug 2007 12:21 #164861 by paradon
Replied by paradon on topic jetting?
for the life of me i cant find out what size my main jets are. Any specific place to look, or just call my nearst dealer, witch i dont want to do.

More
20 Aug 2007 10:07 #165146 by bison
Replied by bison on topic jetting?
just look on the top of the jet (where the screw driver goes) I used a little sand paper (1000 grit) to get the crud off so I could actually see the size.

1979 SR650 D2