standard jetting question

More
30 Jul 2007 08:06 #160696 by bison
standard jetting question was created by bison
Sorry to ask a question that may have been answered a hundred times...

I have a stock 79650 with the following settings:
97.5 main
15 pilot
3rd slot

With 4>1 and pods is this what I should change to?:
110 main
17.5 pilot
4th slot

I am just looking for standard performance, I don't plan on racing or doing anything too fancy. Most of my riding will be highway.

1979 SR650 D2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2007 09:48 #160719 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic standard jetting question
Sounds right to me.
I just changed my carbs to the 17.5 pilots, and I had the clip in the 4rth slot I switch it to 5 slot still with the 110 mains it didnt like it.

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2007/07/31 10:19

More
30 Jul 2007 12:41 #160746 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic standard jetting question
That sounds good. If you have the #50 barrel shaped jet over your pilot jets, you might try reinstalling the carbs and leaving those things out. You could also use a #107.5 main jet with no difference in performance. The 24s on your bike are about as lean as they get... This jetting is for a non-accelerator pump VM24 isn't it??

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
31 Jul 2007 04:43 #160851 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic standard jetting question
Well I put the clip in the fith posistion and it boggs but still pulls a little at WOT.:dry:

More
31 Jul 2007 06:09 #160873 by bison
Replied by bison on topic standard jetting question
It has an accelerator pump on #2 carb.

not sure of the size though VM??

1979 SR650 D2

More
31 Jul 2007 06:15 #160874 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic standard jetting question
Ok... it is always good to get some info... first, check to ensure the accelerator pump is working. To test, if you can pull your airbox back and out of the way some, that would be good as you want to look into the air intake side with the carbs on the bike. Make sure the carb bowls have gas in them and manually work the accelerator pump arm... pump it several times and see if gas is coming out the #4 nozzle and squirting into the combustion chamber. If it does, then go with the suggested main jet; either a #107.5 or #110. Use the stock #15 pilot jet. Don't mess with reclipping the jet needle. If no gas squirts out the #4 nozzle, the pump is messed up somewhere. If you choose to fix it, you will need to remove the carbs and rebuild the pump and clean internal passageways inside the pump mechanism. The #4 carb is the last to see gas and that is why I suggested using it to check for pump operation.

If you decide NOT to fix the pump, then the #17.5 pilot jet is the way to go. You are essentially now rejetting a NON pumper type carb.

Run the bike and if you find a flat spot, then think about reclipping the jet needle to the 4th slot.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!