77 kz650 carb question

More
29 Jul 2007 18:40 #160611 by carlivar
77 kz650 carb question was created by carlivar
My friend gave me his 77 kz650 since he was moving out of state. I'm putting it back together and am trying to see if I can get it to run.

Since I didn't take some of it apart it's hard for me to tell what goes where. What are the nipples for on the top of 2 out of the 4 carbs? Are those vacuum? Where do I connect them...

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2007 19:08 #160613 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 77 kz650 carb question
Sounds like your talking about the vent or "breather" connections. Just attach clear hoses to them, run them back under the seat, and let the other end hang down in the top of the air cleaner (assuming it has a stock airbox). Since you got the bike for free it would be well worth buying a Service Manual as there is a ton of information in there that you will need to get it running and to maintain it. They are always on eBay; I would strongly suggest you get the factory "Kawasaki Motorcycle Service Manual."

Also, here's a link the the Kawasaki site that provides parts diagrams. Next to "Motorcycle" click on "continue. On next screen, scroll down to Model Year 1977 and under CC to 650 then hit "continue." On next sceen pick if your bike is a regular KZ650 or Custom (standard has wire wheels stock, custom has cast wheels). On next screen click "View" next to parts diagrams.

Good luck with your bike, the KZ650 is a great machine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Jul 2007 19:17 #160617 by carlivar
Replied by carlivar on topic 77 kz650 carb question
Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know. No stock airbox - it has individual "pod" air cleaners. Who knows if it has been rejetted for that though.

I just drained the old gas from the tank. I think it was about 5 years old. Going to get some new gas and then see if I can get it to fire up. I don't expect much; the carbs probably need a good cleaning but I figure I might as well see what happens. The bike only has 11k miles.

More
29 Jul 2007 21:53 #160653 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic 77 kz650 carb question
Yet another '77 KZ650... that's fantastic! Welcome.
5 year old gas? There is little chance that the carbs don't need a full disassebly and to-the bone cleaning. You can use an old egg box to keep the parts seperate. Do not mix parts from different carbs... don't ask how I konw.
Only 11k means you probably have decades of life left in your machine.
By the way, don't forget to put your Year, Model and location in your signature... to get the best help out of this site and its members.
Best of success.

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/07/30 00:54

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
14 Aug 2007 18:01 #163923 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic 77 kz650 carb question
Greetings from yet another 77 KZ650 rider. Hope you get it up and going soon.B)

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods
Attachments: