HELP!! RIPPED DIAPHRAM!!

More
26 Jul 2007 12:46 #159879 by tycutler
HELP!! RIPPED DIAPHRAM!! was created by tycutler
Hello all
I have a 81 kz 440
one of my carbs has a ripped Diaphram. I looked on OEM parts list and it was $176 US AAAHHHH!! That's alot of money!! Does anyone know where to get cheap ones from?

Can you fix old one even a temp fix could do for a while
Thanks. Tyson

Post edited by: tycutler, at: 2007/07/26 15:53

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2007 14:21 #159891 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic HELP!! RIPPED DIAPHRAM!!
While we have developed some ways of doing repairs to diaphragms as part of our carb rebuilding process, larger rips and holes require replacement. You have already discovered that OEM diaphragms are kind of pricey. When we are forced to purchase diaphragms, we buy them from our friend Andy at NRP in England. They take PayPal, have reasonable shipping and super fast turn around. www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/ - I highly recommend them. They do require a core so they can fit a new diaphragm on the core metal slide portion for the next portion. The rubber that NRP uses is superior to the stuff that was originally used, in my estimation; probably because of advances in manufacturing. If you decide to use NRP, tell them wiredgeorge sent you! By the way, if anyone is interested in just getting the rubber part and fitting it yourself, it requires splitting the plastic ring that retains the rubber part located on the top; installing and then gluing the plastic back together. It isn't really all that hard if you are mechanically inclined and not afraid of messing up the rubber hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
01 Aug 2007 11:20 #161153 by tycutler
Replied by tycutler on topic HELP!! RIPPED DIAPHRAM!!
Thaks for the help

I ended up using paint on electrical tape to fix the small rips I had. This seems to have done the job. I will open the carbs up in a week or so to see how it is holding up. Thanks again. Tyson

More
01 Aug 2007 12:07 #161163 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic HELP!! RIPPED DIAPHRAM!!
I have heard of some people using Plasti-Dip on their diaphrams. It's the stuff used to coat handles on tools, usually available at Home Depot.
I have not used this myself, just thought I would pass it along.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
01 Aug 2007 12:37 #161166 by hmondo
Replied by hmondo on topic HELP!! RIPPED DIAPHRAM!!
Usually ripped diaphragms have led to my children being conceived…OOPS wrong kind of diaphragm…SORRY!:blush:

1989 KZ1000 P-8 (Police)
1987 ZL1000
1986 Concours (Project Bike)

More
01 Aug 2007 13:14 #161171 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic HELP!! RIPPED DIAPHRAM!!
Tyson, One thing to watch out for...

The PO of my bike used some sort of plastic repair on a tear on the bike's left carb diaphram. I knew about it 'cause when I cleaned the carbs, I saw the repair, but it looked ok.

When I'd start the bike up it would run great. Then after it got warmed up it would have no power, stutter at speed, and wouldn't go over 45 mph. After pulling my hair out all Spring, I took it to the mechanic who struggled with it but finally figured out that the repair was opening up under heat and losing vacuum. We replaced the diaphram with a used one he had and the bike runs great.

Good luck!