carb help

More
25 Jul 2007 23:29 #159730 by pollocksn
carb help was created by pollocksn
Alright fellas I have a few questions. I know I have Mikuni carbs on my bike. My question is how can I find out which ones do I have? I would go look for number on them but its dark right now. The question is the bigger issue. The bike will fire up and run decent for about 10min. The it will start to bog down and spudder, the eventually dies. If I wait about 10-20min it will fire up and do it all over again. There is also gas leaking out of the drain holes of the carbs. So what would cause this? My guessing is the thing is dumping too much gas in and floooding itself. I dont know to much about carbs or bikes for that matter. So, any help would be appreciated. I am almost to the point of taking it to a shop and have them go over it just so I can ride the last few months of summer. Oh if it helps I changed out the plugs, wires. and fuel filter. This has been my summer project that I still have not finished. :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2007 05:27 #159759 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carb help
Have you checked valve clearances? What type ignition is on the bike?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jul 2007 09:50 #159813 by pollocksn
Replied by pollocksn on topic carb help
No I have not checked valve clearance. I dont know how to. As far as I know the iginition is stock, not too sure about that either. This is my first bike.

More
26 Jul 2007 09:58 #159818 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carb help
I guess if this bike is new to you, it would be best to perform a full tune up and change the fluids prior to jumping into carb work... working on the carbs is the last step in a tune up... sync, idle mixture, idle speed adjust, etc, because NONE of this work is valid if the timing is off or the valves have no clearance or you lack compression in one or more cylinders... makes working on the carbs a waste of time. You might want to invest in a Clymer manual (or Factory Service manual) and go to chapter three and start with the tune up procedures and change ALL fluids.

FWIW: Your carburetors are likely VM24SS with accelerator pump based on your year/model but this isn't guaranteed as these are old bikes that may have been modified in the past.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!