Fuel milage

More
25 Jul 2007 18:52 #159661 by 2bskor
Fuel milage was created by 2bskor
I think my bike is a pig on gas. I put in 16 litres and set the speedometer to 0 and by the time the hand is hard on E I get a whopping 160 kms. My windstar gets 100kms on 14 litres !! and in the city. Is this common for these bikes?? It has a 4into1 header I have no idea of the carb arrangement it has a K&N air filter.

Is there any direction anyone could point me in. Is the carbs so out of whack that it is dumping fuel, what would be some test??

The bike drives well it doesn't smoke or burn oil it has all kinds of power it has electronic ignition.

The plugs were fouling and I put one step hotter in and that seems to solve that issue for know, maybe the air screws are not right??

All of the kms above are mostly highway 100 kms for about 7kms each way to work and approx 2kms in traffic.

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2007 20:48 #159704 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Fuel milage
if i recall correctlly, and i do, didn't we go through this last june with you?
there was good advice given to you them.
have you done anything that was suggested last june 10th?
the post i found under your profile labled "help" turned into a pissing match real fast. i don't want to see the same thing start up all over again so lets not even go there.
did you check valve clearences?
what jets are you running?
did you run a compression test?
lots of possiblities why but you need to find out why your bike was fouling plugs before you went to a higher heat range.
like was stated a year ago, it is only a band aid, not a cure.
i am not flaming you or trying to start anything so lets not go that route again ok?
lets find out what is going on and correct it right this year.

there is a answer and we together will find it.

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2007/07/25 23:50

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
26 Jul 2007 05:44 #159767 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Fuel milage
Most of the folks on this board are calibrated in miles and gallons. I am too lazy to get the calculator out so it would be helpful if you could do the calculating... my shaft drive gets 35-38 mpg... I was surprised that the tank is only about 4 gallons... it looks far bigger. This gives me about 130-140 miles to the tank. The gas gauge is kind of a poor indicator as it shows full when the tank is full and empty when the tank is empty but the rest of its range is inaccurate. If your carbs are stock (Should be VM28SS) and have the stock jetting, you should get similar mileage. I don't use stock carbs; I use earlier non-accelerator pump carbs off a 77 KZ1000 as it allows the bike to start easier and the 26s develop a bit more mid-range where the shafty spends more of its time.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jul 2007 18:12 #159945 by Bob_79KZ
Replied by Bob_79KZ on topic Fuel milage
Wow....so much for foreign relations.

Bob

More
26 Jul 2007 20:16 #159968 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic Fuel milage
KAWASKIMAN I think perhaps you might keep those negative thoughts inside I don't really like your attitude. I'll bite my lip now because I don't want to be labeled as a nasty poster.:evil:

Yes it was me last year and yes again this year SO!!

DON'T POST ANYTHING if it bothers ya...........OH oh theres my inner voice STOP.......STOP.... do you hear yours:dry: :S :pinch: :angry: :P :sick: :evil: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Post edited by: 2bskor, at: 2007/07/26 23:17

Post edited by: 2bskor, at: 2007/07/26 23:26

More
26 Jul 2007 20:24 #159971 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic Fuel milage
Wired George thanks for the advice but really it is only a matter of time before you will know the metric measurements off by heart, hell all of the kz's are metric in MM right. Buy a Coke and look at the measurement two litres right. Canada, Europe are metric and the gas seems cheaper by the litre:woohoo:

All kidding aside I guess my bike is getting about what yours is getting which seems a tad bit hard on fuel but hey I could always drive a Vespa right:whistle:

It's nice that you didn't rag me out I don't got time for that BS

• slickware
  • User
  • My bike is as old as I am
More
26 Jul 2007 20:25 #159972 by slickware
Replied by slickware on topic Fuel milage
my '82 kz1100 shaft gets 30mpg if I drive it hard (75mph+ on highway and lots of fast starts) but I see almost 50mpg if I'm real nice to her (easy starts and 60-65mph on highway). She's in good shape and I just had the carbs cleaned.
I don't feel like doing the km/miles conversion either, but if those numbers look about right to you then they probably aren't far off.
~Adam

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.

More
26 Jul 2007 20:53 #159980 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic Fuel milage
Your engine won't warm up much on 7km highway and 2km city rides. You need to get out for a 300-400km ride, at 90-100km/hr and average out a couple tanks of gas. On rides like that my KZ1000 burns about 6L/100km. My tank only holds 15L and I wish it had a bigger tank though as I have to fuel up more often on rides with buddies riding newer bikes:)

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

More
26 Jul 2007 21:30 #159988 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Fuel milage
i was not ragging you.
if you read my post i asked you a couple of basic questions and asked if you did any work that was suggested last year.
i also said we meaning all of us can figure this out.
i hold no grudge and let bygones be bygones so lets start over ok?

what have you done over the winter to your ride?
i believe you might be a size or two to big on your jetting.
do you know what sizes you currently have?
were the valves ever checked for proper clearences?
is your advance unit free and lubed?

i can only offer advice since i went through the same senerio with my 650.
mine was over jetting for the pipe.
do you want my/our help or not?
if you don't want my input then say so, i will not post anymore.
i was just trying to help you.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
27 Jul 2007 05:11 #160018 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Fuel milage
I am fully comfortable with metric as long as it related to tools or bike type measurements. Still can't think about kilometers or liters and stuff like that... I have to go to some website and find the converter and then turn everything into miles per gallon.

I also remember the nasty session last year and since 2bskor has been polite and helpful, and is still concerned about mileage, no harm in answering again. I didn't beat on the tune up issues as my bike IS tuned... All new ignition stuff, hot spark, valves adjusted, tires filled properly, fresh oil, etc. I ride solo on the bike most of the time. The bike won't get 40 mpg even riding like a little old lady... it got 30 mpg right after being rebuilt... rings broke in and the mileage jumped to 35-38 and has stayed there. The bike has a stock (well stock for a Z1) airbox, K&N drop in filter and 4 into 2 aftermarket exhaust and jetting is almost stock in some 77 VM26 carbs off a KZ1000... main jet is up one size over stock so I can't think of much that would bump the mileage. I have been thinking about trying some CV carbs to look for better mileage myself. Don't have much time for carb rebuilding for myself hehehe I think I would put the top part of the stock airbox on (not the bottom silencer part as I don't feel like disassembling the bike) with some adapters for the larger sized venturis on the CV carbs.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 Jul 2007 14:57 #160336 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Fuel milage
I think everybody forgot the first rule of mechanics.. KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid!
I ride an 82 honda 500cc at the moment.. gets good mileage, very close to wired georges. But i know it can get better, but not by adjusting valves, or by cleaning the carbs, etc..
I would need to lose a 100lbs and lose an inch or two of height! B2skor looks to be what? 6'2-6'4? 200-225lbs?
Soooo, being as when i ride, I have the weight of a normal rider plus his 100lb girlfriend, and i have the aerodynamics of a brick wall, ESPECIALLY with no windshield, im NEVER gonna hit that 50mpg mark, correct? :laugh:
Just a thought..

More
28 Jul 2007 15:29 #160340 by myelr21
Replied by myelr21 on topic Fuel milage
4.5 litres to the gallon and 1.6 kms to the mile.B)

07 zx1400 candy blue pc3 dual staintunes.
project z1000j, gpz1100 engine, 1400 big block mtc, kerker with race baffle, 37mm keihin cr specials, gsxr1100 usd front , gsxr 1100 monoshocked rear.