kz 750 carb....im new at this

More
22 Jul 2007 14:02 #158690 by higechops
kz 750 carb....im new at this was created by higechops
i just bought a kz 750 and it had the original air filter. so i bought some k&n filters to put on it. when i did this, now i have too much air and not enough gas. is their an adjustment that i can do or do i need to jett the carbs. if so, has anybody done it with the k&n filters and what size do i need?

please help

aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2007 15:13 #158707 by John T
Replied by John T on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
what year KZ ?

stock exhaust?

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

More
22 Jul 2007 16:54 #158728 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
Is it a 750 twin or 4? From all my experience with airbox to pods you have to rejet to allow more fuel. Of course, I've only ever worked on the mikuni vm24 carbs on the kz650s. Not sure about CV type carbs, but I would imagine that they'd need rejetted the same.
For my 650 with pods and a slightly more free flowing exhaust I'm running the stock 15 pilot jets and have upped my mains to 115s (although I'm thinking that 112.5s would be a better match). But still, the mains are several sizes over stock jetting.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
22 Jul 2007 17:42 #158736 by JR
Replied by JR on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
If its an early 80s E model 4 cylinder with Keihin ccarbs check here kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...w/catid,3/id,147894/

You need either a 140 and a 70 jet as per wiredgeorge or a 137 and 62 as I did.

Call Z1 Enterprises for the jets. Dont throw out that original airbox just yet....just in case you have problems finding the smaller jet.

Post edited by: JR, at: 2007/07/22 20:44

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
24 Jul 2007 06:40 #159156 by higechops
Replied by higechops on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
it is a 1978 kz 750b twin and it has the stock exhaust

More
24 Jul 2007 07:01 #159162 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
anarki650 wrote:

Is it a 750 twin or 4? From all my experience with airbox to pods you have to rejet to allow more fuel. Of course, I've only ever worked on the mikuni vm24 carbs on the kz650s. Not sure about CV type carbs, but I would imagine that they'd need rejetted the same.
For my 650 with pods and a slightly more free flowing exhaust I'm running the stock 15 pilot jets and have upped my mains to 115s (although I'm thinking that 112.5s would be a better match). But still, the mains are several sizes over stock jetting.

I have a 650-4 with pods and freeeee flow exhaust, meaning no insulation just a metal baffle at the end for coppers:evil: . I have 15 pilots 110 mains. I'm thinking of takeing wiredgeorge advise and throughing the 17.5 back in due to I never adjusted the air bleed with the 17.5 so it ran rich at idle, but man did it respond hot and cold, and cold staart was a breeze.it ran good just smoked a lot. So I put back in the 15 pilots.

More
24 Jul 2007 07:05 #159165 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
sorry didnt mean to:)

I dont know about the twins
Attachments:

More
24 Jul 2007 12:32 #159250 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
The problem with sticking pods on the 750 is that the big BS series carbs contain little tiny main jets that are screwed into the float bowls. Since you can't buy these jets (I can't even identify them), rejetting isn't all that easy. There may be ways around the rejetting problem... but using stock type jets (no sizes of these are available to best of my knowledge) with the stock bowls isn't something easily overcome. Hold onto your stock airbox IMHO...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
24 Jul 2007 13:23 #159263 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
higechops wrote:

it is a 1978 kz 750b twin and it has the stock exhaust

HI higechops, I don't have the B but you might want to check out this link. www.armbell.com/kz400/viewtopic.php?t=43...start=0&mforum=kz400

Also this one,
www.armbell.com/kz400/viewtopic.php?t=363&mforum=kz400
they might give you a starting place.

Good luck
Ron

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/07/24 16:27

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
24 Jul 2007 13:31 #159264 by John T
wiredgeorge wrote:

The problem with sticking pods on the 750 is that the big BS series carbs contain little tiny main jets that are screwed into the float bowls.

Sorry to get off topic, but ...
George,
How common is it that the Jets get stuck in the bowls?

On my carbs, someone must have buggered the top of the jet with an improper screwdriver size or something...

But I figure, I'll keep the airbox, the jets will never have to come out..

Also, where can I buy new floats for BS carbs?
my brass floats are leaking like the titanic..
:dry:

More
25 Jul 2007 05:35 #159439 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz 750 carb....im new at this
It is VERY common for the small little jets to have the head stripped. They are puny... I believe I have figured out a way to rejet the BS carbs but will have to work with a 750 owner at some point to confirm how well this works... as far as the floats, I know of no source. That is why we keep "parts carbs"... many of the twin carbs we have purchased via eBay have turned out to be junk and I use parts such as the floats, off of those parts carbs. The brass floats can be soldered if you use resin core solder and a light touch making sure you don't use too much solder to throw off the weight. I guess the ability to solder would also depend on the extent of the damage.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Jul 2007 11:52 #159553 by John T
Thanks WG ;)