Carb identification issue

More
22 Jul 2007 13:58 #158689 by Apets1100
Carb identification issue was created by Apets1100
Hallo to all of you mates out there from Greece

Here's the deal:

I need to identify my carbs, to make easier for me the whole think of replacing bits I need such as intake manifolds, full carb repair set if available, jets, pilots etc...
Also, I'd like to know if I can switch back to airbox and if I can, which one I must seek for to use with them?

I just assembled my bike, it's in the new member topic (newbie from Greece post)

Now about the carbs.

these below are my carbs
I know that they are mikuni, they are 34s on the
motor side, 54 on the pods side and I saw on the right side the numbers 5 and below that 21...

Post edited by: Apets1100, at: 2007/07/22 17:01

Tony
GP1100z B2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2007 11:37 #158925 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Carb identification issue
The carbs you are using are BS34s. Problem is with the BS34 that there are three types of flanges on the engine side. That is why three types of carb holders are available. It isn't easy to ident BS34s without see in the flange in profile (close side shot). About the ONLY other way to ID the carbs I know where I could recommend the correct intake manifold is to tell me the jet needle and needle jet badge numbers. The jet needle is the thing that is in the center of the slide. The needle jet (or main jet holder tube) is the brass piece that the needle jet seats in and is located on the bottom and center of the carb venturi. To remove on, turn the carbs upside-down. Remove the main jet. Remove the brass washer under the main jet and then tap the brass tube located beneath. Note when reinstalling that the tube has a cut out on its side and there is a matching fitting on the inside of the slide bore to locate the slide so that it is only able to go into the slide bore one way.

Anyway, the jet needle has a BADGE number as does the needle jet. The jet needle badge will say something like 5CX53 and the needle jet badge will say something like Y-7 or X-1... both these badge numbers will help identify your carbs where I can tell you which Kaw part number for the carb holders you need. The alternative would be to draw a VERY ACCURATE side shot of the outside of the engine side venturi and I could probably work with that.

Here is one from a Suzuki BS34... I only had those things in my office when I made the drawing and will eventually get a "guide" on our website for selecting the correct carb holder. Unfortunately, the numbers you cited are not all that helpful since I don't keep track of ID marks on BS carbs as they tend to come off pretty easily as they are inked on I think.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

More
23 Jul 2007 12:10 #158932 by Apets1100
Replied by Apets1100 on topic Carb identification issue
Thank you very much,

I'll come back with more information one of the next days.

Tony
GP1100z B2

More
17 May 2016 23:43 #727118 by Apets1100
Replied by Apets1100 on topic Carb identification issue

Apets1100 wrote: Thank you very much,

I'll come back with more information one of the next days.

Hello there!!!
Well, it surely didn't took me too long I guess....
Sometimes it takes a bit more than a few days to disassemble a set of carbs.. :whistle:

I have a set of numbers as you requested.

5c32 are on the jet needle
31861 Y-5 are on the needle jet.

One other issue is that those carbs of mine probably came from a different bike, because it doesn't make sense that there are no sync holes, not on them or on the carb holders.. I wonder.. how could I sync them.. Can I use carb holders with holes on them?

Tony
GP1100z B2