heavy knock

More
22 Jul 2007 06:14 #158596 by Pijoe1
heavy knock was created by Pijoe1
I have a 1981 kz550c ltd last week i rode the bike about 15 miles no power loss or anything then all of a sudden there was this loud knock on decelaration it went away and then after about 5 seconds started again. bike starts no problem just a loud knock now can any one tell me what this is

Post edited by: Pijoe1, at: 2007/07/22 09:14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2007 07:06 #158605 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic heavy knock
Can you give more information?

1. Check engine oil level- does it have oil?
2. Do you smell engine overheating, oil smoke, etc.?
3. Does it keep knocking at any rpm?
4. Does it sound like it's coming from the engine or maybe a loose exhaust or other part?

More
26 Jul 2007 17:11 #159928 by Pijoe1
Replied by Pijoe1 on topic heavy knock
yes it has oil and it knocks at any rpm it also was not overheating neither it just suddenly started it is coming from the engines left side!!!!! please help me i have invested alot in restoring this bike there is not anny smoke coming from exhaust

Post edited by: Pijoe1, at: 2007/07/26 20:12

More
26 Jul 2007 17:29 #159932 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic heavy knock
If it does it at idle, use a long screwdriver or wood dowel like a stethescope, just hold the driver or dowel up to your ear and the other end on different parts of the engine until the noise is the loudest, and see if you can pinpoint the area it is coming from.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
27 Jul 2007 05:16 #160021 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic heavy knock
Knock? Why is this in the carb section? Should be an engine issue, I would guess. Does the 550 have rods that are removable? BTW: Harbor Freight has mechanic's stethescopes that are pretty reasonably priced and one of these will probably work better than the screwdriver trick if you really want to hear inside the engine. Finding the source of the noise would be helpful in diagnosing... could it becoming from the countershaft area? Bottom of engine? Top of engine?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Aug 2007 05:59 #161818 by Pijoe1
Replied by Pijoe1 on topic heavy knock
the sound is coming from the left top side of engine::::::::::

More
06 Aug 2007 08:31 #162034 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic heavy knock
Take your valve cover off and have a look. I can't think of anything that would knock in the valve train but that is the only thing at the TOP of the engine. If the knock is from the cylinder block, then it might be a rod or rod bearing. The two places are about a foot apart and that is why it was suggested you use some means to be more specific as to location... diagnosing is only as good as the info you diagnose from.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!