Repairing brass floats

More
21 Jul 2007 14:37 #158477 by John T
Repairing brass floats was created by John T
1979 KZ750 twin.
both carb floats are gas filled...

is it possible to repair them (solder) ?

The problem I see is getting the old gas out and finding the pinhole... :unsure:

maybe they can be filled with an expandable foam and soldered up tight?

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2007 15:20 #158482 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Repairing brass floats
Welcome to KZR John, I've never had any luck soldering the holes. What I've done is go to M/C salvage yard and look through some floats and find one the same size and change the float on to your holder.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
21 Jul 2007 15:58 #158492 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Repairing brass floats
I did it a few times back when I was working car carbs. If you heat it carefully with a "small" flame on a propane torch the gas will heat up and come out the hole. I don't recommend it but it works. Don't hold the flame right on the float just hold it back enough to warm it. And if you do it, do it outside. They usually leak somewhere on the seam. After, you get all the gas out you can heat the seam and let the original solder flow back in. Put some flux on the seam though to clean it. You don't want to add more solder or it will raise the weight of the float and it will probably be useless. You don't want to get the float too hot or when it cools off the contracting air inside will collapse the float,,, I did that a couple times too,,, :blush: :blush: :blush:
But, Mark's suggestion is much safer. Maybe, I just got lucky with the ones I did using the torch.
Ride and Mechanic Safely

One more thing, after you get the gas out, you want to let the float cool off so it sucks air back in before you resolder it.

One more thing,, hopefully the last,,, use a soldering gun, not the torch to reheat the seam to flow the solder back into it.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/07/21 19:16

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
21 Jul 2007 17:22 #158505 by John T
Replied by John T on topic Repairing brass floats
thanks Guys.

This is a side project I'm working on, so no hurry.
I have them sitting in the sun in attempt to let the old gas evaporate....

then I'll fire up the soldering iron and give it a shot..

I reckon I'll submerge the floats in a bowl of water and look for the bubbles....

I won the bike on ebay for $53.00 :evil:

this site has a lot of good ideas...

I'm really liking the 750 twin cafe racers...

Attachments:

More
23 Jul 2007 12:55 #158943 by John T
Replied by John T on topic Repairing brass floats
anyone know the best place to buy New replacement Floats? :huh: