gas leaking out of carbs

More
19 Jul 2007 21:26 #158167 by furby1184
gas leaking out of carbs was created by furby1184
i have a 1979 kawasaki kz650 and the two carbs on the left side of the bike ar leaking gas out of the(what i assume) is the overflo tubes please someone give me some guidance

1979 KZ 650B pod filters, 4-1 kerker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2007 05:40 #158221 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic gas leaking out of carbs
Guidance? Not much to go on... is the bike running or parked when the leak occurs. If the bike is running, either the floats are sticking, the float valve assembly is in need of attention or replacment or the cylinders are not firing or the float level is wrong. If the bike is parked and this occurs, then the petcock is not being turned off or the vacuum petcock is not functioning properly and should be either replaced or repaired.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Jul 2007 09:04 #158255 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic gas leaking out of carbs
There are many here who have worked or are currently working on the same problem you are experiencing. Leave more details/clues/hints (after reading some other posts on leaking carbs). You will find lots of guidance here.

Best case scenario is that it is a petcock problem and your carbs are fine. If it is a float problem, that might be a sign that there is crap in your fuel that is now fouling your carbs one way or another, or that parts of the carb are hitting old age and others are on their way to failure as well.

Get yourself a manual. Trust me on this one.

When the time comes, do to all carbs what you do to one. Don't just fix the two leaky ones, fix all four equally.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
21 Jul 2007 11:25 #158435 by furby1184
Replied by furby1184 on topic gas leaking out of carbs
the bike is runnign when the gas is leaking out of the carbs. ill try to rebuild them. thanks guys

1979 KZ 650B pod filters, 4-1 kerker.