Carb Issue?

More
18 Jul 2007 23:01 #157875 by Pfeifer
Carb Issue? was created by Pfeifer
Hey everyone, i have a 1979 kz650. It has a big bore kit, electronic igniton and aftermarket exhaust. Lately i have been having fuel issues. The carbs are clean, not sure if they need a rebuild or if new carbs can be obtained. But when i get to around 4000 rpm the fuel likes to stay on even when i am off the throttle. I greased the cable and it did not fix the problem. When i used the mercury sticks the it was fixed for about a hour and half of riding till it reacurred. Any ideas? I was thinking the carbs were just worn. If this is the case would a rebuild fix the problem? Or is there somewhere i can obtain new carbs, as with the big bore it is probably a good idea anyway. Offhand i cant remember the bore size if needed i will look into it been about 2 years since i did that :).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2007 05:04 #157891 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Carb Issue?
welcome, have you removed the cables and worked the throttle by hand? , also check to make sure the cables are not in a bind enroute to the carbs, and last look for a poss vacum leak

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
23 Jul 2007 14:49 #158969 by Pfeifer
Replied by Pfeifer on topic Carb Issue?
Thank u i will check. The vac. leak is quite possible since i did the mercury sticks:) and who knows, the cables could be stuck inside, grim since 1979 has got to be hard to get rid of no mater how hard i try lol. I will get back to u with diagnosis asap.

More
23 Jul 2007 16:55 #159003 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Carb Issue?
slides could also be sticking. if the revs come down slowly most likely a vaccum leak.

More
27 Jul 2007 05:46 #160028 by Pfeifer
Replied by Pfeifer on topic Carb Issue?
Turned out to be a vac. leak! Thank you both. Running like a raped ape again!:woohoo: