Throttle cables

• SebRain77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
18 Jul 2007 18:53 #157834 by SebRain77
Throttle cables was created by SebRain77
Not sure if this is the right place for my question, but here it goes. Throttle doesn't come back after twisted open. I know that some bike have one, some have two. Why? If one opens and the other one closes, are they the exact same cable? i think they sell it as two different part numbers on buykawasaki.com, but my buddy who i think knows bikes (at least more than me) says that they are the same, and that i could buy motion pro cables, times 2, and everything would be alright. Am i being misguided? Dont wanna kill myself either!

Thanks

Ever hit the pavement? I did, put that gear on!

1977 KZ 650C1 - First bike, ever! For sale - or not!?!?
2004 Z750 - More power than I'll ever need...
Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SebRain77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
18 Jul 2007 18:55 #157835 by SebRain77
Replied by SebRain77 on topic Throttle cables
some have one, some have two

CABLES, i forgot to write silly me!

Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
18 Jul 2007 19:30 #157843 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Throttle cables
I can't recall, has the bike been sitting for some time?

If so, the carb slides could be gunked up from stale fuel and possibly sticking.
Or it could be as simple as a cable or the throttle linkage binding.

Your bike, as well as quite a few Kawis from the 70's came equipped with two (an opening and a closing) throttle cables. There is a stout enough throttle return spring on the carb linkage, so the "closing" throttle cable is basically just a fail safe.
While the cables look almost identical, IIRC one cable is slightly longer than the other.
If the "opening" cable breaks (usually happens when you are MILES from any help :pinch), in a pinch the "closing" cable can be swapped into it's place to safely get you to where you need to go.

Check at Z1 Enterprises, they stock both of those cables in the Motion Pro brand.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/07/18 22:32

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
19 Jul 2007 06:55 #157915 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Throttle cables
The difference is the "pull" cable has a little shorter chome L at the handlebar than the "push" cable. This is done so they don't butt together as they are installed, so you could put on the "pull" cable first, get it all twisted on to the right position, then put on the "push" cable. If they used the exact same cable this would not be possible because after installing the first cable, the second cable could not be fully threaded in because it butts against the first cable. It could work, and I would bet aftermarket garbage cables may use the same cable, but it could not work right as the only way it could be done would to be fully thread in the first cable, then thread in the second as many turns as possible until it butts against the first. You would then have between a 1/4" and 1/2" of threads showing because it can't be tightened all the way. The 2 cables may be slightly different length too, I never really looked at that. Many people claim they are the same cable and they look the same, but to be right they must be different slightly.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 Jul 2007 07:59 #157936 by DrMotorBoat
Replied by DrMotorBoat on topic Throttle cables
I have a couple of comments and then a question.

I have been looking into this exact thing for my 650 SR.
Most of the after market parts for these cables (push/pull) on the Kz650's are sold seperately from what I have seen (presumably for the reasons sighted above), However they are the same length (45.5 inches I think).

I would double check to see that you have your spring hooked up correctly first and if it is I would check to see that the appropriate parts are lubed correctly (accelorator cable,throttle mechanisms, etc.) Make sure things are not sticking.

I recently went into my local kawasaki dealer to try to order these cables and the parts guy didn't have a clue about push/pull cables (and my extremely new to mechanical work question about whether it is the push or pull cable that is the accelorator cable). That is my question since to order these online you have to know which is which.

The other thing that I wondered about is just buying a new cable for a perfectly good sleeve. The aftermarket cables seem to be all painted black at the end where they hook up to the handlebars. I have some nice chrome ones that I would like to keep. Has anyone tried just repacing the actual cable inside the sleeve?

1981 KZ 440 LTD

• SebRain77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
20 Jul 2007 14:25 #158314 by SebRain77
Hmmmm, I'll have to look into that different lengths a little further more. But if I have a brand new open cable, what are the chances that it'll break? I mean, even if I have to buy one every other year or so?

Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!

• SebRain77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
20 Jul 2007 14:26 #158315 by SebRain77
Baker, that would be like on a bicycle! I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work...

Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!