Bog on wide open throttle

• wreckedmyteg
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jul 2007 11:12 #157460 by wreckedmyteg
Bog on wide open throttle was created by wreckedmyteg
I've got a KZ550 that I recently purchased.

I pulled the carbs, and cleaned them throughly and completely.

For the longest time, I couldn't get it run except on choke. Turns out I didn't have enough fuel to run (had to flip to res :S)

Now my problem is this. It runs great through the rev range up to about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. As soon as I crack it all the way it bogs down and dies.

I put a automotive paper-style fuel filter on, could that be part of the problem? I also have clear fuel line so I can tell it's getting gas.

Where should I start?

On a side note, it's got a bit of a knock. Could that be from the three missing choke-flaps (I assume they got eatin). Gonna use a thicker oil and see if it goes away.

I've had this thing for 3 months and it's still not on the road... :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2007 12:04 #157472 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Bog on wide open throttle
Have the carbs cleaned and make sure you have the proper size jets

More
17 Jul 2007 13:28 #157502 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bog on wide open throttle
Sounds like the airbox is off and it is either running with no airfilter or pods were installed. Go for a ride;run the bike up to where it is stumbling and pull up the choke lever (close choke) just a bit. If the problem gets BETTER, you were lean. Use larger main jets. If the choke makes the problem worse, then you were rich and use smaller main jets. You can use Keihin main jets on your TK carbs. The thread size is the same and the jet sizes correspond as well.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wreckedmyteg
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jul 2007 09:29 #157738 by wreckedmyteg
Replied by wreckedmyteg on topic Bog on wide open throttle
There is an airbox, and it is installed.

I went out and flogged it a bit last night. I think it was just fouled plugs from idling on choke so much.

More
18 Jul 2007 12:42 #157774 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bog on wide open throttle
I said it SOUNDS LIKE THE AIRBOX IS off the bike. If this problem occurs, I suggest you do the choke test I suggested. Fouled plugs don't behave where the bike falls on its face at a certain RPM... fouled plugs DO NOT FIRE and the bike will miss... different symptoms... Your symptoms sounded like running out of gas or rich. I think it is often hard to tell and that is why I suggested the test I suggested.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!