I rebuilt my carbs and now haveing idle problems

More
17 Jul 2007 06:20 #157383 by Tdubb
I have an 82 KZ1000 and when I got it it was leaking gas from the air box. For some reason I think my floats were sticking and not stoping the gas.

So I bought this rebuild kit on Ebay. cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KZ1000-...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I took my carbs apart and soaked them in some Chem-tool. Then sprayed them off with carb cleaner and then sprayed them off real good with my air compressor.I put all the new parts on and put it back on the bike and adjusted the air mixture screw out about 2 and 3/4 turns and it runs great and there is no more leak.

But when I start it using the choke it starts right up and idles good around 1500 for about 5 seconds, then it revs up to about 4500 rpms and stays there untill I kill the choke. Then it wont idle for about 5 minutes. But I usually just take off and by the time I get to the first light (about two miles) it will idle fine.

If anyones got any ideas I would appreciate the advise. Thanx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2007 10:34 #157439 by Tdubb
I am wondering if maybee Im looseing compression. If I turn my bike off for more than 2 or 3 minutes, It wont idle good untill it runs for another couple of minutes.

I was thinking that its building up compression for the first couple of minutes, and when I shut it off the pistons stop there for looseing whatever compresion is built up.

More
17 Jul 2007 12:12 #157475 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic I rebuilt my carbs and now haveing idle problems
Just making sure that you do know the choke is adjustable? once it fires up you can lessen the amount of choke when it starts reving too high. Then after a minutes or so you can turn the choke completely off.
The pistons do build compression but only until combustion occurs in the cylinder, the burnt gas then is expelled through the exhaust stroke.

More
17 Jul 2007 13:05 #157493 by Tdubb
ya Ive tried pushing the choke in real slow, but it doesnt seem to make a difference. Once its a little more than half way in the rpms just drop and the bike dies.

More
23 Jul 2007 20:15 #159083 by Bob_79KZ
2 and 3/4 turns on the idle mixture sounds like too much to me. Mine are only out about 1 turn. ( I have a 79 KZ1000 ST )

What kind of carbs are they?

And pistons ONLY build compression when the motor is running or being cranked.