accelerator pump question kz 650

More
14 Jul 2007 14:49 #156820 by bison
accelerator pump question kz 650 was created by bison
79 SR D2

During disassembly I accidently removed the adjusting nut from the pump rod.

In my manual it says not to do that, and if you do the rod is now junk since there is a 'factory installed locking mechanism'

Can I just apply some loctite to the adjustment nut and be alright??

Or should I actually purchase new a rod and nut?

thanks

1979 SR650 D2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2007 15:08 #156823 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic accelerator pump question kz 650
No personal experiance but I've heard the same thing. How do the threads look on the rod and in the nut? If it screws back on just adjust it according to the manual with some loctite. If it's junk I don't think they are available except for ebaying a rack of carbs.

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/07/14 18:12

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
15 Jul 2007 08:32 #156930 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic accelerator pump question kz 650
I can't imagine why they say not to remove the brass barrel shaped nut as it doesn't do ANY harm to remove it. Clean the threads on the rod with a wire brush and reinstall. Make sure the spring on the rod is in place as it tensions the arm onto the nut and keeps the nut from backing off. A little loctite doesn't do any harm. It is pretty typical for Clymers to give the wrong info regarding position of the brass barrel nut. Should be screwed onto the rod a bit more than 1/8". You can test the position by installing the carbs and leaving the airbox off. Hook up the gas and pump the arm on the accelerator pump. You should see gas come out of all four brass nozzles in each of the venturis. It it doesn't the pump gas pickup mechanism is clogged up in the #2 float bowl or the nut needs to be move up or down just a tad.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!