Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road

More
13 Jul 2007 20:42 #156731 by srobie1
Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road was created by srobie1
I got the bike about a month ago. And it has sat for a few years. The first day home I got it started right up. I did the normal (changed the oil, plugs, marvel oil on the pistons) a little starting fluid and she was running. High RPMS though. I tweaked the idle down and then got a slapping noise, I later found out through this site and and the help of all you guys that it was not rings like I thought. Just coils. So the search for a cheap set of coils was on. (I am on a tight budget) I found a set here on KZRIDER through a member and 2 weeks later I had them. But they turned out to be the wrong ones. So I found a set on EBAY and I got them another week later. They were the right ones!:) Now with the coils on. (I also got new points and condenser.)The bike will idle fairly good. My next issue is the carbs. Tonight I dropped each bowl on each carb and spayed the heck out of the floats and got all the crap out of the bottom of the bowls. They were pretty dirty. Put it all back together and started it back up. Still needed starting fluid. But I can see a big difference though Improvement for sure. Alot better throttle response. Seems every once and a while I get a pop out of the number one carb (misfire??) This carb number one was the dirtest one out of the group. Not surprized, to have the popping. I have put pod style filters on it seeing how the original air box cracked and half way gone. So I just removed it. The cleaning I did tonight did help. But I know It needs more. I also have noticed smoke coming from the factory Kerker 4 into 1 pipes. The smoke seems to be from the number one area right were it meets the head. I think. I am sure this is related somehow. This is my first street bike, I have done a couple dirt bikes and have built a few cars. So I like to think I am pretty good with my hands. But this one is starting to get the better of me. I just want to get it running good so I can have a daily driver. I like the bike and I can't seem to get over how great this site is. A lot of support from real people. Its just great. So again, I am in seek for more advice. I not really wanting to remove the carbs and trying to rebuild them on my own. Maybe there is someone here in my area with some knowledge of rebuilding these carbs that wants to help a brother out and make a new freind. I am in Clearwater Florida. If not, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2007 14:59 #156989 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road
The smoke could be jusy the marvel oil burnung off thru a small exhaust leak or a leaky valve cover gasket dripping on the head pipe.The carbs nee to be taken off turned upside down and all jets removed sprayed down with carb cleaner and blown out with air hose.while your doing this get a small wire and make sure all passages are clean BUT be careful and dont break the wire off inside one of them.Also check voltage going to the coils if it is low it will simulate a carb problem.should be 12 volts

Post edited by: 76 LTD, at: 2007/07/15 18:01

More
15 Jul 2007 15:43 #156994 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Trying to get my 77 KZ650 on the Road
Yes, the carbs need to come off. Remove the main jets, pilot jets and air screws. Clean them and make sure you can see thru the jets. Before removing the air screws see where they are adjusted(probably approx. 3/4 -1 turn out from seated position).

Since you put some oil in the cylinders you may have a fouled plug, i would replace them

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]