440 Pilot jet.

More
13 Jul 2007 17:24 #156713 by bigchief
440 Pilot jet. was created by bigchief
Well its been years since I've visted this forum! Forgot what a great site it is.
I've been trying to get my 77 Kz back up and running. Originally had a 400 but now it has an 80 440 in it. Carb's tranny and engine are all from the 440.
I took the carb's apart to clean and did not think about counting turns on any of the jets inside. As far as I found there were 3 jets in each carb. Two bigger jets and one thin jet that I assume is the pilot jet under a white plastic plug.

After reading some of the forum jet post's I see that the pilot jet needs to be back'd out a few turns. Is this the jet under the plastic plug that needs to be backed out?
If it is, then I did 2 1/4 turns out on each jet under the plug. Just wondering if this is correct, due to it seems that each of those jet's now seem to have a slight wobble to them if there not fully seated. What about the other two jets? Do I just tighten them until they are snug?

My main concern is that now the right pipe is really hot and the spark plug is black after a few minutes of running, the RPM's start geting higher and higher and then the right exhaust starts to backfire. Thinking I have an air leak that may be causing the RPM issue, but was wondering if maybe I backed out the wrong jet.
Thanks for the great forum, I've been reading it for days now trying to catch up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2007 08:25 #156777 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 440 Pilot jet.
The jets inside your float bowl need to be snugged up... you don't screw them in and out to adjust them. The amount of fuel delivered by these jets is a function of the size of the hole in them. You do need to adjust the pilot mixture via an external pilot mixture screw but it ain't under the float bowl.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Jul 2007 13:06 #156809 by bigchief
Replied by bigchief on topic 440 Pilot jet.
Thats good to hear. I was kinda worried since the jet was now loose and would most likely vibrate completely loose. I'll snug them up and give it another try. I'll get some new plugs also. Hopefully this will help my erattic idle I was getting last night.

More
15 Jul 2007 08:36 #156931 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 440 Pilot jet.
An erratic idle on Keihin constant velocity carbs is the result of an air leak around the butterfly pivot shaft. I think there is a rubber seal on the inside of the bushing that the shaft rides in and it may deteriorate with age and air leaks into the venturi which is pretty much only likely to affect idle... Next time you have this problem with the idle wiggling around, put your finger over the ends of the shaft on the outside of the carb and see if it affects idle.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!