Quick Sync Question - '76 KZ900

More
13 Jul 2007 10:28 #156640 by arozanski
Quick Sync Question - '76 KZ900 was created by arozanski
When performing the mechanical synchronization, which side of the carb do you use to check the clearance? I have the Clymer's book, and it does not specify which side. The air filter side appears larger than the intake side, and it makes a difference.

I assume it would be the intake side, as this has less clearance to begin with.

When done setting the carbs this way, should I be able to see any light at all pass through the carb?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2007 08:45 #156782 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Quick Sync Question - '76 KZ900
The point is to set all four slides about the same but the main thing is to make sure that the slide height for all four slides is within the range of the idle screw... you need to be able to move the slides UP and DOWN after setting the slide height using the slide adjusters.

Set the idle screw so that it is turned in a few turns and will move the slides UP and move the slides DOWN. Now put just and eyelash of opening on each slide... so they are all the same. View from engine side. Move the idle screw. If the carbs open about 1/16" and are all the same, you are good. Make sure they shut all the way together as well...

When you start the bike, the slides will need to be open about 1/16" for the correct idle speed adjustment. Well, this is on a VM carb. The amount the throttle butterflies on a CV carb is just an eyelash.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Jul 2007 07:00 #158236 by arozanski
Replied by arozanski on topic Quick Sync Question - '76 KZ900
Thanks WG, you've been a big help. I finally have this thing sorted out.