bad throttle response

More
12 Jul 2007 13:32 #156466 by BarMan
bad throttle response was created by BarMan
bike starts up and idles good... when i twist the throttle, rpms go up and stay up there after i let go... points?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2007 14:07 #156471 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic bad throttle response
Vaccum leak. Carb holders are cracked or loose or a vaccum port could be unplugged.

More
15 Jul 2007 21:41 #157052 by almarconi
Replied by almarconi on topic bad throttle response
Check to make sure that your throttle cables are adjusted properly. Also the return spring on the carbs
may be weak, not allowing the throttle to return. Try disconnecting the cables and operate the butterflys by hand to see if the problem goes away. I noticed on my KZ550 that if the cables don't have the proper adjustment in them the engine will do all kind of weird things.

1981 KZ550C LTD (SOLD)
1980 GS750L
1982 KZ750N1 Spectre (New Project)

More
16 Jul 2007 06:23 #157098 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic bad throttle response
The throttle cable tip is a good one... it is unlikely a return spring issue on the BS34 carbs as there are three separate return springs and never saw these go "bad" or loose tension. The tip on air leaks is also a good one. On older sets of BS34s I would also add that the orings on the mixture screws harden and tend to leak air and should be replaced. The other places suggested for checking are correct... just adding one more.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!