CSR1000 re-jetting

More
12 Jul 2007 09:20 #156395 by CSRjunky
CSR1000 re-jetting was created by CSRjunky
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum but not new to Kaw 4 cylinders, I had a 79 KZ650 w/ Kerker for many years.
I picked up an 82 CSR1000 w/2500 miles last fall, the pipes were pretty rusty so I found a Vance & Hines 4-1 for a song! Problem is the pipes are turning blue and the engine runs hot and is very cold blooded so I assume it needs re-jetting or tuning. As I recall from reading that the needles should be non-adjustable on this bike and I believe all of it is straight stock. Any ideas for a quick fix without going to a dyno-jet kit? My problem with the dyno-jet is that they only offer a stage 3 kit and the statement "may effect drivability" has me worried. I want it to run well and get as good gas mileage as it can, I don't need a race bike, I'm over that! 92 hp is good enough for me! I just want reliability. I would be willing to go to pod air cleaners but not if I don't need to.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2007 06:54 #156587 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic CSR1000 re-jetting
The Dynajet kit is a waste of money in any case... One-size-fits-all jet needles and four main jets will lighten your pocket and make the bike run bad, if it runs at all. It will ONLY run if you have pods on the bike and then not too well.

Do you have pods on that thing or the factory airbox? It honestly sounds like you have an air leak and not any real jetting issues... If you have pods on the bike with the 4 into 1 and stock jetting, you won't get the bike over 6K rpm and it will be real lean across the board but the engine won't seem to run real hot unless you running at the top of the rpm range. Have you changed the carb holders?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Jul 2007 10:20 #156638 by CSRjunky
Replied by CSRjunky on topic CSR1000 re-jetting
I was told that by adding the 4 into 1 I HAD to re-jet or at least readjust the needles. The bike runs great but shows signs of lean burn,like I said, blue pipes and kinda cold blooded on a cool morning, and it just seems really hot after running. Also sounds kind of like popcorn when I let off the throttle. It is all stock except for the pipes and I haven't tried any troubleshooting at all.
I'm just afraid I will burn the values or something.
As far as revving over 6K, I don't run the bike in that rpm range and if and when I do, I've got my eyes glued to the road! There's no problem with performance as far as I can tell, the thing is SCARY FAST, I can only get through 2nd and I'm over 80 so who needs faster? The bike has plenty of "pull" below that, I can roll it on in 5th gear below 40 and still accelerate enough to pass quickly.
As I mentioned before, my knee draggin' days are over, I use the bike to commute to save gas. I'm very tall so I just need a big bike to be comfortable.
Thanks for the ideas.

Post edited by: CSRjunky, at: 2007/07/13 13:25

More
27 Jul 2007 12:21 #160094 by CSRjunky
Sorry I took so long getting back to you about this. I tried accelerating up to red line - she hauls butt! No noticeable loss of power at all. Maybe she lugs a little on the low end, if anything. So, I don't see any performance issues at all.
As I said, I was told I would have to re-jet with a header. If you don't think there's a problem even though the bike runs perfectly, then I guess I don't!
I'm just afraid of burning valves and the pipes are turning blue.

More
27 Jul 2007 12:21 #160095 by CSRjunky
Sorry I took so long getting back to you about this. I tried accelerating up to red line - she hauls butt! No noticeable loss of power at all. Maybe she lugs a little on the low end, if anything. So, I don't see any performance issues at all.
As I said, I was told I would have to re-jet with a header. If you don't think there's a problem even though the bike runs perfectly, then I guess I don't!
I'm just afraid of burning valves and the pipes are turning blue.

More
28 Jul 2007 06:28 #160275 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic CSR1000 re-jetting
Single wall pipes almost always turn blue... The pipes get hot! The chrome blues.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!